• Advertisement

Oil Changes ?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Oil Changes ?

Postby rrrhre2s » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:13 am

A lot of small engines get their oil changed in the spring.
I was just thinking should the have their oil changed before storage ?
Leaving the oil in them all through storage with contaminated oil be causing more harm ?

If fresh oil is installed before storage and the engine is brought up to operating temperature would not this be better for the engine ?
Less acid and other contaminants to attack the engine's metal parts during storage.

What's your opinion ?

Or just forget the whole thing and do the check and add !
Since the EPA says most of them will be junk in 200 hours !

rrrhre2s
rrrhre2s

Advertisement

Re: Oil Changes ?

Postby bgsengine » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:30 am

Depends on the engine and storage conditions, really.. the cheapo walk behind mowers, just do the check and add - deck would probably rust out long before lack of oil changes will mess up the engine... but if you are one of those rare few that actually is anal about maintenance and cleaning (I know a couple people that will go over their mower in detail after each mowing, to the point of making it look like showroom new- yes after EACH mowing) , then of course you can do oil changes, but I don't think it particularly matters if oil sits there over winter.. Utility and commercial engines, I'd probably do oil change and service maintenance before storing it away. (especially mower deck cleanup, since sitting over winter with all that grass packed in under deck, rust doesn't care about temperature)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby hanz63 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:31 pm

An oil related failure doesn't exist in OPE. At least without extenuating circumstances if it is changed regularly. Much more is on the list to worry about. As one expects you see a rush of PM over the first months of mowing season, those that service at the end of the year / prep for storage and those that start the season and get through the rough stuff then have the service done when the equipment needs the big clean up and the rest of the season is dry and easier on the mower. Hardly a wrong answer in any of them.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby plotthound » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:38 am

I always change the oil before storage in the fall.along with a good healthy dose of seafoam into the gas tank.my roto tiller is over 40 years old and my craftsman rider is almost 20.both hopefully will last me another 20.
plotthound
Guide

Return to Technical Discussion Forum