• Advertisement

crazy things you find-flat belt

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

crazy things you find-flat belt

Postby 38racing » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:32 pm

Someone dropped off a JD L100 rider at our church dumpster. Appears to b 1999 Seems complete except for hood. My daughter has same model (2003). This one obviously not well maintained. I expect I'll find a blown head gasket. I noticed that one deck hanger failed and was somewhat repaired as deck appears to be hanging ok. Then I notice the belt. They had a flat ribbed belt like the automotive serpentines wrapped around the engine and deck pulleys. I haven't looked yet to see what the drive belt situation was.
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: crazy things you find-flat belt

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:06 am

They assume because the IPL said flat belt they could use a flat in place of a HA belt. BTW I have the use of a rib belt here too even though it wasn't even for the mower, just a red neck repair.

I just like the Murray I recently replaced the deck belt on where they installed a 88" because the part number was 37X88 assuming that the X88 meant 88" when in fact the belt was 1/2 x 89.5. It costed them $65 as I had to replace the PTO engagement lever due to the damage cause by over torquing it while rotating it to engage the deck.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum