• Advertisement

Tecumseh problems

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Tecumseh problems

Postby dennis » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:16 pm

Still working on Craftsman wheeled string trimmer...engine Tecumseh LEV120-361075C. It has been sitting for many years with gasoline in the tank. I emptied gas tank and there was a significant amount of water in it, and the carb bowl. Cleaned the carburetor as best I could. Removed idle jet and removed plastic nozzle, and cleaned all passages. Did not have any welch plugs, so did not remove any. When I start the engine, I have to prime it about 5 times. It runs rough for about a half a minute, then smooths out. However, it takes a few minutes for it to come up to full speed even with contol lever in wide open position. I have the high speed governed rpms set to around 3500. What would cause it to take a few minutes to reach full speed?
dennis
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Tecumseh problems

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:29 am

It just a guess Dennis but I am basing this on a previous experiences with an old 8 hp horizontal Briggs and a Tecumseh. It might be low compression cause by worn cylinder and rings that are sealing well enough once heated. The old Briggs would not stay running unless I illiterately poured fuel into the carburetor until it was warmed up. I also had repaired a Tecumseh horizontal engine on the chipper/shredder that had only 35 psi compression cold that took a considerable amount of time to come up to full speed.

Check your compression numbers at cold and hot stages. Or better yet do leak down tests at cold and at hot stages. It might tell the story. Just be aware there is an ACR involved. But your are looking a for good compression of around 65+ psi.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Re: Tecumseh problems

Postby dennis » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:39 pm

Thanks, KE4AVB. I will do that next week end. Thanks.
dennis
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum