• Advertisement

Honda GCV160 won't restart

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Honda GCV160 won't restart

Postby kburns » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:58 pm

Husqvarna 21" walk behind with Honda GCV160 LAO S3B GJARA with autochoke. Starts fine on first or second pull and runs just fine. If it is shut down after fully warmed up, it will not restart until it cools back down. The autochoke appears to be working properly since the choke plate is fully closed when the engine is cold and opens up all the way when the engine is warmed up. It then fully closes again when the engine has cooled down. I opened up the carb, and it appeared to be just fine. I made sure anyway that all the holes in the emulsifier tube and jet are open. The choke linkage doesn't seem to be sticking or binding. What do I need to check next? Any help would be appreciated.
kburns

Advertisement

Re: Honda GCV160 won't restart

Postby hanz63 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:43 pm

So there is a bulletin on this engine for a different governor spring. It seems to be for a slightly different symptom. I had one that if you flicked the governor arm , it would then restart. It didn't have the chugging symptom in the bulletin, but the new spring made it happen. http://www.ipspower.com/images/document ... art-up.pdf
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby kburns » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:59 pm

Thanks hanz63, I'll check that out tomorrow.
kburns

Postby 38racing » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:30 pm

hanz63 wrote:So there is a bulletin on this engine for a different governor spring. It seems to be for a slightly different symptom. I had one that if you flicked the governor arm , it would then restart. It didn't have the chugging symptom in the bulletin, but the new spring made it happen. http://www.ipspower.com/images/document ... art-up.pdf

Given all the gcv160s made I wonder why this set needed the spring change.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby bluemower » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:19 pm

here is an idea.

When the engine is hot, and the choke is wide open - Try flipping the choke closed when pulling the cord for a restart.

You can also try holding the throttle closed (in the idle position) when attempting restart. If the float is distorted, or if the needle valve is defective, the fuel in the float bowl may be maintained too low. When pulling the rope during a hot restart, there is not enough fuel.
bluemower
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:21 am

With an engine that doesn't restart until cool off after running, I normally check for spark as the these self contained coil electronics do fail in this matter at times. I have even seen spark plugs do this. Just a thought.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum