• Advertisement

Learn a new torque term today

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Learn a new torque term today

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:57 pm

Isn't always fun to learn a new term.

nut rolling torque

Now if I can only remember what I did with the beam torque wrench. Seen it last year.....Oh well off to hunt one.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Learn a new torque term today

Postby 38racing » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:25 pm

I think i still have a beam somewhere. Saw one Saturday at a garage sale.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby Skywatcher » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:23 am

Hi KE4

Rolling torque is often used in heavy duty mechanics. For example, when setting the bearing preload of the input shaft on a semi tractor differential, the bearing retaining ring has to be tightened enough to get the correct rolling torque as measured on the nut holding the universal joint yoke onto the pinion shaft. Also used on John Deere farm tractor rear axles to ensure the correct thickness of shim pack has been installed between the end of the axle and the final drive planetary gear cluster or cage. All the best,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:10 am

An ATV front axle is where I ran into this. It has a Flex-Loc nut that you must that rolling torque resistance of the nut must taken into account as for to the final torque spec. Basically it is 75-150 in-lbs that must be substracted to get the final torque reading of 100 in-lbs. So if I have a rolling torque of 125 in/lbs then my regular torque wrench should be set at 225 in/lbs. And it part of the preload for the tapered bearings. In the current setup I am preloading 4 taper all at the same time. I have done preloads before on rear differentials pinion. Just didn't know the term used for the adjustment; although, I was following the service manual instructions.

Later models of this Polaris have switch to castle nuts so it a little easier to preload. Just torque to 100 in/lbs, spin the hub several times, and recheck torque spec.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum