• Advertisement

Briggss 596038 Fuel Solenoid

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Briggss 596038 Fuel Solenoid

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:30 am

Gentlemen,

Just a heads up on this.

I have now two failed OEM fuel solenoid that are new straight out their packaging and received recently. I am now out nearly $100 due to fact that the distributor is not allowed to warranty them and the local dealers will not honor the Briggs warranty because I didn't buy the solenoids from them.

They fail to retract; unless, you bump the pin. I even tried ordering an aftermarket version out of China and it does the same thing. I have tested them directly wired to a known good battery with the same results so it is not wiring problems. Just defective items mechanically.

Not a happy camper being ripoff by Briggs over their dealers and distributors refusal to honor the parts warranty. Going to try to get my own specialized Briggs dealer status then the local dealers can go you know where. Beside one dealer even promised me a 20% discount then called me with a price of 60.50 for the part even the list price is 58.50.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Briggss 596038 Fuel Solenoid

Postby aj-allen » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:49 pm

KE4AVB I have never seen one of these solenoids that didn't need to be bumped to retract on a bench test. Once installed the pin is slightly pushed down no longer fully extended and they will retract.

Allen
aj-allen
Forum Regular

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:25 am

Well it been different for me then as they have always retracted during bench tests/out of the carburetor at the engine. But these will not even retract when mounted in the carburetors which makes it impossible for the engine to run. Now I have been only testing them the same way for 10 yrs.

So if they need to be slightly depressed then they are made wrong as they do not operate when mounted in the carbs, either on the bench or on the engine.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:50 am

It's pretty common by me for dealers to mark up 20% on MSRP for their "list". Their business system matrix knows how to make it seem less obvious depending on the code of the part. Would the solenoid engage if you used the thin metal ring rather than the paper gasket?
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:51 pm

Yes know they can do it and I worked at a business where the markups was from 5% to 2000% depending on the item. Most of Briggs are purchase at 20% off list so it a fair GPMU to list as that works out to 25% increase . Of course hardware such as screw gets larger GPMU as from a different distributor. Usually a $2 fastener at Briggs prices I obtain for .20-.40 ea so I can easily go over 2x my cost without a problem. A good example is the Kohler 25086660-s which would cost me $1.00 ea that I buy @.40 each. Same exact screw for less half the OEM engine price for the screw. Kinda adds up quick when you are using 8 per engine OEM so it is $8 cost SRP $1.33 or my way $3.20 cost and sold @ whatever price I want up to the OEM SRP.

As for solenoid I don't think they make a metal ring or washer that is a negative as I already tried no sealing washer at all [.000 thickness]. Now I can try a bucket of fertilizer to see if the stem will grow longer on the solenoid or a buck of Alum to if the carburetor would shrink. :lol:
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby mr-moe » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:52 am

Why not eliminate the solenoid completely?
Moe Fretz
Retired Small Engine mechanic, Ag tech, Auto tech.
mr-moe
Forum Regular

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:42 am

And get shot by a local trigger happy law enforcement officer just because turn off my engine? I don't think so...I can't even get my papers out of the glove box without a gun drawn on me.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby mr-moe » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:42 am

Aw, come on now, who's going to chase you down in a lawnmower.
The lawnmower cops?

You clip the end of the plunger needle off, put back in, hook up wiring
and Bob's your uncle. Fixed lawn mower, happy customer.

Never in my 49 years of repairing small equipment.
Have I ever had the emission police or anyone else come in and inspect my shop or any of the sops I have worked in.
Moe Fretz
mr-moe
Forum Regular

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:22 am

Well it wasn't funny when I got the gun drawn on me at a traffic stop a few weeks ago by a rookie cop.

Who ever hear of the sales tax inspector coming into a shop to check you records. I had it happen to me several years ago. A customer turn me in for charging her sales tax. I wouldn't had mind it so much if he didn't pretended to be a customer.

Mr-moe, the customer wouldn't be happy as it is my own mower and don't want set my tall grass on fire again. But of course you might let a mower out of your shop that has the deck blade duct taped on.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby mr-moe » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:29 am

Handy stuff duct tape.

Zip ties too.
Moe Fretz
mr-moe
Forum Regular

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum