• Advertisement

Engine stutters

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Engine stutters

Postby Az Shadeguy » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:22 pm

have a Briggs 130202-1672-02 on a Montgomery Wards Tiller
I had the carb in the ultrasonic cleaner for 30 minutes and it came pretty clean I thought.
It starts and runs but it has a little miss Also there is gas leaking between the carb and the tank when its jostling around.
Date code of 1983
Az Shadeguy
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: Engine stutters

Postby bgsengine » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:59 pm

Use 2 carb to tank gaskets to solve fuel leakage, may also solve an air leak causing your misfire (carb and/or tank tend to develop warpage) , also make sure you have 2 carb to intake port gaskets (unless using that extra thick one from briggs) - pretty often I've found em with just 1 gasket, but due to how carb mounts on tank and tank, may not always have a complete seal of the intake gasket.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Az Shadeguy » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:38 pm

Ok thanks I will try it and post the results
Az Shadeguy
Forum Regular

Postby Az Shadeguy » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:05 pm

I doubled up the gasket on the gas tank and the leak is gone. The sputtering was better also after a little tweaking the carb adjustment screw. Runs pretty good for a machine that is 34 years old. Now I need a couple of ounces of 140 weight gear oil. I can only find it in gallons locally. I found a quart on line but with shipping at 16.00 it cheaper to buy a gallon.
Thanks for taking the time to help.
Az Shadeguy
Forum Regular

Postby Skywatcher » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:48 pm

Hi Az

The other common problem I find with these older engines is the carburetor mounting flange warps over time allowing air to leak in between the carburetor and the intake port. A sheet of ΒΌ" thick plate glass with a sheet or two of emery cloth glued to it makes a great surface plate for truing up parts like this. As for the gear oil, usually NAPA stores carry it in 1 quart bottles. Places like Mr. Lube, Jiffy Lube and other car oil change places often have gear oil in bulk and may be willing to sell you a couple of shots if you take a container there. The answer is always no if you don't ask. Hope this gives you some ideas,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby Az Shadeguy » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:07 pm

Thanks Sky
Napo has it for 7.00 for one quart
Az Shadeguy
Forum Regular

Return to Technical Discussion Forum