• Advertisement

Craftsman Snowblower carb questions

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Craftsman Snowblower carb questions

Postby jwales » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:28 pm

Friend brought over a craftsman model 247.88700.1 serial 1H254I40512 001 with 5 hp Tecumseh, model; LH195SA, spec; 67419V (made in Canada). The carb had been dismantled as he was trying to "fix". The rod from governor arm to carb was disconnected and the spring from the governor arm to the throttle control was also disconnected. I have been trying to determine where these were hooked up before and cannot determine visually. Can anyone direct me to a photo/diagram that may show what the "factory setting" would have been?

I have a 5ph craftsman, a little newer I guess but the carb is mounted different (opening on mine faces handle bars) than this one (opening faces tire) so I can't use that for reference. I did clean the carb and put new kit in it.

Any help appreciated.
jwales
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Craftsman Snowblower carb questions

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:32 pm

About all you do if you can't find wear indicators is to start in the middle and move the spring up or down to get the engine's spec speed. Now the holes fartherest from the governor bellcrank is where the Rod for the governor to carburetor linkage goes.

Other than that trying downloading the OHHSK50-130 service manual.
https://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Tecumseh-Service-and-Repair-Manuals/TECUMSEH-SERVICE--REPAIR-MANUAL-OHH50-65-OHHSK50-130-OHV11-OHV17-OVM120-OVRM40-675-OVRM120-OVXLC120-OVXL120-OVXL125-695244A.pdf
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby jwales » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:14 pm

Thank you KE4AVB. I could not down load the manual but was able to open and view. I did not find anything that would help me. But apparently I got a little lucky because the engine is running good, low and high speed. The snow is supposed to be showing up here Tuesday night into Wednesday with large enough accumulation to give it a test drive! :lol:
jwales
Guide

Postby jwales » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:01 am

Something new discovered. I dis-assembled the carb and On my initial cleaning in the ultra sonic cleaner I notice, on the bottom side of the carb body, a circular well (poor terminology) that looked like it should have a welch plug over it....but there was nothing in the bowl?? So I had a spare one in my mess that fit and I put it on, tapped it with a ball peen and it is secure. Put carb back together and it fired up and ran fine. turned it off and I notice fuel leaking around carb. So I figured carb kit was necessary. Replaced the needle & seat, bowl gasket and bowl nut gasket. Ran the blower this AM in the snow and it worked fine. Did not notice any fuel around bowl....until I turned it off and back in the garage. I then realized where the fuel was coming from. There is a hole (manufactured) in the base/bottom of the carb throat that is just behind the choke control rod. Fuel stopped running out when I turned the fuel line shut off.

Is it possible that the welch plug was not required for this carb? And possibly creating a vacuum or by pass for the fuel to run out that hole? I have been trying to find diagrams or kits that show all parts for the carb but can't find anything detailed enough. Or is my carb not clean enough and there is a blockage somewhere? :?:

Thanks.
jwales
Guide

Postby bgsengine » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:24 am

jwales wrote:Something new discovered. I dis-assembled the carb and On my initial cleaning in the ultra sonic cleaner I notice, on the bottom side of the carb body, a circular well (poor terminology) that looked like it should have a welch plug over it....but there was nothing in the bowl??
Some have them some do not- some carbs had bowl vent that vented to that area, the welch plug was to simply block fuel sloshing out, others had that well there but never had the vent hole drilled so they didn't use welch plug.
So I had a spare one in my mess that fit and I put it on, tapped it with a ball peen and it is secure. Put carb back together and it fired up and ran fine. turned it off and I notice fuel leaking around carb. So I figured carb kit was necessary. Replaced the needle & seat, bowl gasket and bowl nut gasket. Ran the blower this AM in the snow and it worked fine. Did not notice any fuel around bowl....until I turned it off and back in the garage. I then realized where the fuel was coming from. There is a hole (manufactured) in the base/bottom of the carb throat that is just behind the choke control rod. Fuel stopped running out when I turned the fuel line shut off.
Your float needle is not seating correctly, that or your float is not .. floating...

Is it possible that the welch plug was not required for this carb? And possibly creating a vacuum or by pass for the fuel to run out that hole? I have been trying to find diagrams or kits that show all parts for the carb but can't find anything detailed enough. Or is my carb not clean enough and there is a blockage somewhere? :?:

Thanks.
Not clean enough of you didn't put in the float seat correctly. You install with the groove in seat (hard to see on some) facing away from float needle, and has to be installed squarely and completely into the recess, viton seat can also have a crack or cut that leaks past float needle. That or float isn't able to float.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:14 am

The very reason I have acquired a 10x loupe for checking these seals along with the Nikki bowl gaskets. I also use pressure/vac tester for leakage tests. Carburetor should 7-10 psi for 10 minutes or longer when the carburetor is inverted. I like to test for 30 minutes myself.

As BGS said most likely needle and seat seal problem; although, if the float level is too it can also cause leakage. Check float with a 11/64" (4.36 mm) drill bit across the top of the carburetor casting on the opposite side and parallel to the float hinge pin. Float should just touch the drill bit.

Also float sticking can occur due to fuel deposits or when the fuel tank is filled for the first time, this condition can be quickly corrected by loosening the carburetor bowl nut one full turn. Turn the bowl 1/4 turn in either direction, then
return the bowl to its original position and tighten the bowl nut. [per service manual]. Plus as side note the flat on the bottom of the fuel bowl if present goes toward the float hinge point.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby jwales » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:22 pm

Well I followed through with your advice. I checked and the seat was in place correctly (ring down) but I did use a punch to try and push the seat down further. I also adjusted the float hieght and it runs great and not fuel leaks!
Thanks.
jwales
Guide

Return to Technical Discussion Forum