• Advertisement

John Deere D130 Oil Change

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

John Deere D130 Oil Change

Postby lefty » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:31 pm

D130 Tractor
1GXD130EVFF606335
DOM 0201915
Briggs 44R677-0001-G1 140903YG

So I did an oil change on this including a new filter. The specs I found show 64 oz of oil but I had to put over 74 in to get it to the middle of the fill range.

I drained all of the oil out, removed the old filter, installed the new filter. I put about 60oz in and ran it for a short minute and began adding more. I let it sit overnight thinking some would run down but it still in the normal range. My concern is that I had to put about 12 oz over the spec. I'm wondering if there is a problem with the filter. I purchased it from a local dealer and it appears to be the correct one. Am I just being paranoid?

Thank you very much
lefty
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: John Deere D130 Oil Change

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:26 pm

You probably installed the large oil filter and also probably has a drain tube. The spec is for an engine with a pipe plug and the small filter.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:03 pm

There is a drain tube approximately 3.5 to 4 inches long with a rubber cap on the end. The filter is about 3 inches deep. Sorry for not giving that info initially. Does that change anything?

Thanks
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby mr-moe » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:41 am

Are you screwing in the dip stick or just dipping it in the hole?

The dip stick should be screw in to check the oil.
Moe Fretz
Retired Small Engine mechanic, Ag tech, Auto tech.
mr-moe
Forum Regular

Postby lefty » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:25 pm

It's one of the ones with the notches so it's completely set once lined up but yes, I'm fully securing the dip stick during the measurement. The owner just told me that this was purchased new a couple of years ago from lowes but it was returned by someone. Maybe it's the wrong dipstick?
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:50 pm

lefty wrote:It's one of the ones with the notches so it's completely set once lined up but yes, I'm fully securing the dip stick during the measurement. The owner just told me that this was purchased new a couple of years ago from lowes but it was returned by someone. Maybe it's the wrong dipstick?
Very well could be. 64 Oz is 2 full quarts of oil, have never seen any briggs that took more (except the 3LC engines) so if you are quite sure you put just over 2 1/4 quarts of oil to get to full mark on dipstick, very well could be wrong dipstick, (or dipstick tube) I know of no reliable way to check other than buying new dipstick and tube for the engine model-type (and no guarantee that's the correct model-type to the engine block, eh?) any chance it has an oil coller accessory of remote mount oil filter accessory? (can't imagine where it'd fit on a D130 though)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby NO0C » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:11 pm

The dipstick for that engine is 594528 and the tube is 691037.

Google both of them in images. RepairClinic shows each on a 1" X 1" grid. That should give you a very close idea of how long they should be.

Good luck.
NO0C
Forum Pro

Postby Skywatcher » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:14 am

Hi Lefty

Generally speaking, on most vertical shaft engines, the full level for the engine oil is the gasket where the base meets the block. Set the dipstick beside the tube at the same level it would be if it were locked in and see where the add–full range sits on the base or block. This should give you a pretty good indication as to whether the dipstick markings are in the ballpark. Hope this helps,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby lefty » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:08 am

Will do. Good info. Thank you.
lefty
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum