• Advertisement

HS50 67244E no spark

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

HS50 67244E no spark

Postby jwales » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:53 pm

Ariens, 2 stage snow blower, with Tecumseh 5 hp, HS50 67244E SER 4312B. Neighbor dropped off said it ran for the first snow fall then would not start the next week. Pulled the carb and cleaned it and checked spark and no spark. Took the engine/rewind cover off thinking I was going to remove the ignition coil and test it further. Oops, no ignition coil. Pulled the flywheel and lo and behold, points and condenser which I am not to experienced, but have a friend to help me.

But before I order parts........

I observed on the underside of the flywheel, two approximately 1 inch by 1 inch magnets next to each other. One was cemented/glued in place. the other was just being held on by its magnetism. Thoughts;
1. is this one "loose" magnet not in the correct location AND because of that it is not getting spark?
2. If so, is it possible to re-secure it (assuming I can identify where it was originally secured)? How important is location Accuracy? How to secure it?
3. Or do I need to replace the flywheel? Not sure I can even still find one.....

Thanks.
jwales
Guide

Advertisement

Re: HS50 67244E no spark

Postby bgsengine » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:18 pm

if magnet came loose, you need a new flywheel.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby bobodu » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:49 am

Seems to be a lot of them out there....but having a time trying to find the right part number...
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Arkie » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:50 pm

bobodu wrote:Seems to be a lot of them out there....but having a time trying to find the right part number...

Right, Lots of em out there about correct part number is the hang up. Two magnets indicates you may have a low amp charger and a electric start flywheel with a flywheel rings and etc.

Jacks small engine or parts tree may have a flywheel part number using your numbers then do a search on flea bay for the part number.
Tecumseh parts are getting hard to find at a reasonable cost.
Did the loose magnet chew on anything under or around the flywheel?????

May have to sub a later model engine onto the eq.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:42 pm

Is the coil under the flywheel with the points and condenser?
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:36 pm

Arkie wrote:
bobodu wrote:Seems to be a lot of them out there....but having a time trying to find the right part number...

Right, Lots of em out there about correct part number is the hang up. Two magnets indicates you may have a low amp charger and a electric start flywheel with a flywheel rings and etc.
Umm not really - 2 magnets with points,condenser & coil on stator under flywheel.. (note where he said:
jwales wrote:..Oops, no ignition coil. Pulled the flywheel and lo and behold, points and condenser..
) magnets are for the ignition system.. there actually were some where just 2 magnets bonded to inside of flywheel for breaker point magneto..
38racing wrote:Is the coil under the flywheel with the points and condenser?
thats what it sounds like from jwales' original post above.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:36 am

Sometimes just looking up the IPL works...It indicates that the flywheel set is NLA according to sites that looked it up on.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Skywatcher » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:55 pm

Hi J

What I have done before, although I told the customer that there would be no warranty expressed or implied on the repair, was to epoxy the loose magnet back onto the flywheel. If you can see exactly where the magnet came from and what its orientation was (sometimes they will have a factory mark like a white line indicating this side out), the magnet can be re-attached to the flywheel. The backside of the magnet and the inside of the flywheel must be thoroughly cleaned with emery tape and washed down with brake cleaner before proceeding to the next step.

Here's where I strongly recommend the use of a non filled slow curing 2 part epoxy resin like Devcon 2-ton Epoxy in the two 1/2 ounce tubes, one tube of resin and one tube of hardener. (J.B. Weld is a filled epoxy and behaves more like a very hard filler putty as opposed to a high strength glue). Back in England, the go-to brand of epoxy resin was Araldite with the resin in the blue tube and the hardener in the black tube (if memory serves me correctly). Make sure you have a method of securely clamping the magnet to the flywheel during the gluing process. Prepare the epoxy resin following the directions on the packet to the letter, apply the mixed resin to both surfaces and clamp tightly. A little bit of squidge out isn't going to matter as there's adequate room and let the glue cure for 24 hours.

Once the glue has fully cured, check the clearance between the stator and the magnets. Set a single layer of electrical tape over laminations of the stator. install the flywheel and rotate the crankshaft, the magnets should not touch the tape. Add a second layer of tape onto the stator and repeat, you should see scuff marks on the top layer of tape. If no scuff marks on the second layer, add a third layer and repeat. The top layer of tape should be peeled off by the magnets. Most electrical tape is about .005" thick and I believe the stator to magnate clearance specification is .008" to .012". Hope this points you towards a possible repair option.

If the repair doesn't work, you haven't lost much. If the repair does work, you've just saved your customer's snow blower. All the best,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:53 pm

I think the comparable product to the Devcon 2-ton Epoxy is the Permatex 2 Ton epoxy here in the USA. To me it is a much better than JB Weld version. If the flywheel is any things the Kohler magnets they will clamp themselves using the Permatex; although, you may need put spacer in place to keep the magnets from attracting each other.

But take this with a grain of salt as I have very little experience with Tecumseh engines and I only seen one with the internal coil setup. It was a loss cause due cylinder wear.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby jwales » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:11 pm

Thanks all for the help. 38 you were correct, points condenser and coil under the flywheel. Did not end up ordering a new flywheel as the neighbor decided to not put the money into it.
jwales
Guide

Return to Technical Discussion Forum