• Advertisement

Mantis SV-2AE Tiller

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Mantis SV-2AE Tiller

Postby ggoyeneche » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:43 pm

I've got an older Mantis SV-2AE with the early ECHO/Kioritz engine. This is the engine which was originally breaker point ignition, but this one has the later CDI module mounted externally.

Anyway, I need to remove the centrifugal clutch. I've already gotten the Rotating Drum (17501004632) and the two Clutch Shoes & Springs (17500905130 & 17501805130) off, but not sure how to remove the part where the Shoes & Springs mount to. Is it part of the Cooling Fan (10150005020)? How do I remove from the Crankshaft? Is it pressed on over a woodruff, or is it threaded to the crank?

Any insight would be appreciated.
ggoyeneche

Advertisement

Re: Mantis SV-2AE Tiller

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:07 pm

I take the bearing came off with the drum. If so the next main item is the fan to remove. Yes it is on a straight keyed PTO end of the crankshaft.

https://www.partstree.com/models/sv-2ae-little-wonder-engine/engine-crankcase-stop-switch-ignition-starter-1/
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby ggoyeneche » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:29 am

Thanks for the feedback. I can see a slot in the hub for the keyway, but still don't know how to pull it off. I can't get under the fan to use a puller, or even pry it up. And there is not way to get purchase on the hub (such as tapped holes).
ggoyeneche

Postby bgsengine » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:20 am

Echo also has a flywheel puller that threads onto crank, you hold the engine off the bench by the puller handle and whack on the tool with a hammer...flywheel pops off after a couple whacks...
If you are very careful to protect the crankshaft and threads, same can be done with a soft face hammer and hold engine by the flywheel off the bench , whack crank to pop flywheel loose (but be advised, if you hit it wrong, can damage the crankshaft or threads)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby ggoyeneche » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:56 pm

Thank you to both of you. Was able to remove the Fan/Clutch hub successfully. It was in fact keyed to the crankshaft, and I was able to pull it off by prying under the fan and tapping on the Allen head screw holding the clutch together. Since I was striking the Allen screw I did not damage the crankshaft. Once it began to move I applied some PB Blaster and let it soak. Now moved more easily, and was able to pull off with my fingers.

Thanks again KE4AVB and bgsengine.
ggoyeneche

Return to Technical Discussion Forum