• Advertisement

ultrasonic cleaner solution

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

ultrasonic cleaner solution

Postby plotthound » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:35 pm

i just bought an ultrasonic cleaner off of amazon.got a decent 1 with a 6 litre tank.what are you guys using for cleaning solution?ive read that simple green works good mixed with water but am wondering what guys here are using????

plotthound
Guide

Advertisement

Re: ultrasonic cleaner solution

Postby RJRacing » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:23 pm

Simple green will discolor the carb, if that matters. I use the DTI stuff
RJRacing

Postby Gerry » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:13 pm

I use the Stens item: 770-100 happy with the results.
Gerry
Guide

Postby 38racing » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:47 pm

I think there's another thread (or two) on this. Saw a video where fellow saves fluid by putting item in a jar of solution with UCS just filled with water.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:01 pm

I've been using vinegar/water for about 3 years. (even though I have other solutions/additives)

Safe for all type of carb parts.
When cleaning with a small US and small equipment carb's I just use a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water. I like for the US to have a heat function or use warm water.

Vinegar is a solution of acetic acid, which is a weak acid, and can be neutralized by adding a strong base, such as sodium hydroxide (baking soda). After being in the US vinegar solution mix some Baking soda in water and clean the carb in a container. The baking soda solution stops (neutralizes) the vinegar from etching the aluminum carb body. wear rubber gloves or your hands will get black from touching the aluminum parts until they air dry after using the baking soda.
I usually do not use the neutralizer if I blow dry the small carb and it has not been in the solution for over an hour.

I do not leave the carb resting in the vinegar solution for long periods of time such as 12 hrs or so. The vinegar will discolor the aluminum.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:53 pm

Or you do like I have for several years and that is to use 1 to 2 Tbsps of Dawn Ultra dish soap. With any of the methods mention you do need to run a rinse cycle to remove the cleaner. I also use Alconox 1404 Alcojet non-ionic low-foaming powdered non residual detergent so there is no rinsing needed; about 2 Tbsp in 10L unit.

Basically you just need to do a little experimenting to find the solution that works best for you. No one solution works for all types of cleaning.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:51 pm

plotthound,
Welcome to the ultrasonic cleaner owners club! :D
After you have been using this for awhile, and see the results, I believe that *(like me) you will ask yourself, "Why did I wait so long and not get one of these SOONER!?" (that was 12 years ago for me), As far as what cleaning solution to use, you will get a LOT of opinions. For ME, it depends on what I am cleaning....
I have 2 ultrasonics: For small parts including carbs , I use the Design Technology , Inc. (DTI) solution ("Formula 202") in my smaller HF machine. It is a bit pricey, but works REAL good for carbs. For larger parts, like an engine block, I'll use Dawn dish soap in my larger ultrasonic. Remember to always probe/clean all of the carb orifices with wires of the appropriate sizes. (I have a set of torch tip cleaners I use for this purpose).

Remember, what ever type of cleaning solution you are using, you ALWAYS need to purge all of the ultrasonic cleaning solution/water from the exterior and (especially) the internal passages of the carb! I use a combination of compressed air and spray carb cleaner..
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby plotthound » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:03 pm

thanks for all the ideas guys.i fired up the USC with some dish soap in it.threw 2 pairs of really greasy plyers that I use when serviceing wheel bearings.ran 2 30 minute cycles then removed to tools.all the oil and crud had beaded on the tools and I just had to wipe them clean with a rag.they were utterly spotless after the wipe down. :mrgreen:
plotthound
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:03 am

Wheel bearing grease is usually fairly water resistance just design due where wheel are used. So the results you mention is typical. Regular oils tend to break a lot better. This why use Dawn Ultimate which 4X concentrated when heavy oils and grease.

As previous different cleaning tasks to require different cleaning agents. On those low power USC multiple cycles are common too as I have done up to 2 hours (multiple 30 cycles) allowing cooling after a few cycles. Now that was extremely messed up carburetors from kid's ATVs. Some I probably some have just replaced. But now with a 10 L with 4 transducers usually I don't need more than two 30 minute cycles and probably if let the carburetors pre-soak I would only need one cycle.

But you how it is we are busy and want to things off the bench as quickly as we can. Besides we might lose a part of the project if we step away.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby wristpin » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:59 pm

I see the mention of wheel bearing grease . It’s my understanding the ball, roller and needle bearings should not be subjected to u/s cleaning as it can damage the bearing surfaces. Comments please.
wristpin
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum