• Advertisement

Tecumseh AV600 points ignition timing

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Tecumseh AV600 points ignition timing

Postby wristpin » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:15 pm

Just had to rebuild an AV600 on A Flymo hover mower using a good used short block but , of course , the reference marks on the ignition stator applied to the old block. Straight to the UK workshop manual data page for the btdc figure - zilch!
Worst case is to put the stator back on the old block, refit the piston and measure it , but hopefully a US manual may have it . Quite tempted to guess it!
wristpin
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Tecumseh AV600 points ignition timing

Postby bgsengine » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:54 pm

same result here in the US shop manual - spec for timing is not there for AV600.. I wonder if they ever were originally equipped with points.. (could be you got a model number discrepancy? maybe a tag or something was put on an older engine? do you have spec number with it for parts lookup, to look up which ignition was equipped to that spec? ) *EDIT TO ADD* - Yeah, look closer at the spec chart for AV600 - Notice it specifies "Ignition Module Air Gap" and gives no breaker point gap spec. I suspect the AV600 was a solid state ignition engine, so you might have a wrong tag somewhere..
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby wristpin » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:06 am

Thanks for looking . The situation is complicated as several of the Tecumseh engines were licensed to be made in Italy by a company called Aspera Motors, later called Tecnamotor which was a joint venture with Fiat. I’ve worked on those engines since the late 1960s and there was often a lag in spec between the US and European spec engines even though the main model number was the same; so it could be that a US built engine could have solid state ignition while the European spec ones were using up breaker point stators. To further complicate the situation the UK hover mower manufacturer, Flymo, now part of Husqvarna , used to have some special build engines. At the back of the parts book would be AV***** Flymo special execution.
Thinking about it I think I’ve come up with a simpler work around to get a timing setting . Thanks again for your input.

****EDIT. Just found an old Flymo/Aspera service manual . AV600 timing, 9/64” , 3.5mm btdc. Same for the AV520, AV750, TA633 and VA633
wristpin
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:06 am

I think you are to use the type (spec) number to get the setting.

Tecumseh has used two different methods of identifying 2 cycle engines.
The first method was used until the mid 1980's using the base model number with a type number. The type
number was used to identify variations for the OEM's specific needs.
The second method was put in place to standardize 2 cycle and 4 cycle engine identification. The type
number has now become the specification number, which is preceded by the engine model. Example: AV520
Tecumseh type numbers are stamped into the blower housing, or are located on a nameplate or tag on the
engine.
Model and Specification numbers are either stamped into the blower housing, or located on a decal on the
side of the blower housing.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum