• Advertisement

Hydro Gear question

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Hydro Gear question

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:55 pm

Is safe to use 15W50 full synthetic in place of the SAE20W50 conventional oil in the Hydo Gear transaxles? Hydro Gear sales don't the answer and wasn't willing to find out.

BTW I just told Walmart go F themselves since they refuse to accept my sale tax exemption certificate. I even turn in my local card. Why buy from someone that refuses to accept my paperwork provide by the State of Tennessee. I just order 5 gallons of 15W50 full synthetic online at the same price as the Walmart's Mobile One out of Salem NH.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Hydro Gear question

Postby 38racing » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:42 am

it would be a bit thinner at the lower test specification temperature but would be closer as temperature rises to 50 test temperature. Besides the synthetic doesn't use the poor lubricating polymers to get the range. Toyota cars are specd for either 0w20 or 5w20 so looks like bottom number not as critical.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:49 am

That what I was thinking beside Tuff Torq specs 15w50 syn or 20w50 conv in their hydros.

And yes a neighbor has a Toy with 0w20 motor oil in it. Looks like water.

The oil I ordered is the Kawasaki Syn oil as I got it at the same price as the Mobile One that I was using. I got a good price at $25 per 5 qts.; of course I had to pay $15 in shipping but that only makes the same as RBI price before shipping.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:20 pm

For the regular 10w30 or 5w20 I usually get some brand on sale for 28$ cdn for 5 litres. I just found walmart super tech synthetic for 18. Even has the dexos gm symbol. Problem is the shelves have been empty.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:41 pm

Even if Walmart had the synthetic I not buying it from them right now as they are refusing my sales tax exemption certificate. I am not going to pay them 9.5% sales tax on resale items.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum