• Advertisement

Do New Old Stock (NOS) parts go bad?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Do New Old Stock (NOS) parts go bad?

Postby creia » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:49 pm

I'd like to pick your collective brains please...
As I believe that many of you already know from my previous posts, my son and I restore the old Briggs and Tecumseh horizontal shaft L-heads. Most of these engines are 40-55 years old and many parts are no longer available (NLA). I learned my lesson long ago that SOME NOS parts deteriorate with age to the point they are no longer usable (e.g, gaskets and rubber parts that dry out) as they are sold individually from an open box and no longer in sealed packaging. OK, enough background, now here's my question:
How about NOS metal parts (rods, cam gears, valves, crankshafts, etc.. Do these 50-50 year old parts go "bad"? :? Does the structural integrity of the metal somehow deteriorate or become otherwise compromised with age? :? Many of the NOS metal parts I purchase have "surface rust" as described by the seller. How MUCH rust (with iron) or oxidation (with aluminum) is a deal breaker? :?
Thanks for your insight.
Michael :)
creia
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Do New Old Stock (NOS) parts go bad?

Postby bgsengine » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:01 pm

Nah if they went bad just from age, how do you think there's still 100 year-old engines that had been sitting parked in some old farmer's barn for the last 40-50 years, and you can pull 'em out and start em right up as if they'd just been tuned yesterday? :) As for rust making a deal-breaker, rust on bearing surfaces or gear teeth (or corrosion in the case of aluminum) would be a no-go for me, if it could not be 100% polished away with some extra fine emery cloth and a light touch.. any pitting, it's scrap. But other than gear teeth and bearing journals (and of course cam journals) , (pits in teeth can lead to cracks and breakage developing as well as spots for wear particles to "hide" and cause more wear) I wouldn't worry much about rust on other areas. If they claim "surface rust" on bearing journals or gear teeth, they're probably saying "It's a bit rusty and we couldn't clean it up" , would be my opinion - if it'd clean up with a bit of steel wool or extra fine sandpaper, I'd do so before even trying to sell it..
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Re: Do New Old Stock (NOS) parts go bad?

Postby creia » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:29 pm

Brian,
Thank you for the guidance Some good advice in your post, as always. :D
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum