• Advertisement

Briggs 126T02-0309-B1 primer air box problem

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Briggs 126T02-0309-B1 primer air box problem

Postby dart451 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:07 am

Hello again. Trying to get a little info on the primer airbox on this unit. I know how to check if the bulb is priming but I get nothing. I even tried two new gaskets, still nothing. If I remember correctly, doesn't over tightening the airbox to the carb usually mess them up? I was careful with the new gasket/gaskets however, still no fuel pulse when pushing the button. Cleaned the carburetor thoroughly, used welding cleaning wires to make sure all orifices were good... I ordered a new airbox and carburetor just to have them on-hand...any thoughts out there on this demema?
dart451
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Briggs 126T02-0309-B1 primer air box problem

Postby bluemower » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:30 am

This is the Quantum series that was produced for many years. The primer is actually a small air pump. Press the primer and a shot of air enters the float bowl. The air displaces some fuel - forcing the fuel up the venture tube. Once the fuel enters the air stream, the engine starts. Normally works well.

This system deteriorates with time.
1. primer bulb may have small holes and does not deliver a strong shot of air
2. air passage may be plugged - either dirt or residue from ethanol fuel
3. base of air filter housing has warped and primer air is leaking. This is usually caused by over torquing the screws
4. fuel level in the float bowl is too low - This results in a longer distance for the fuel to travel. Condition may be caused by a distorted float, or a leaking float. Condition may also be caused if the viton seat is distorted or swelled up. Cleaning agents (carburetor cleaner) will cause the seat to swell up causing the float to close in a lower position.
5. Bowl gasket may be deteriorated allowing the air shot to leak.

These carburetors are very easy to restore. If you see damage from the ethanol, probably best to replace the carburetor. Also replace the fuel line. These were very good mower engines. Frequently, owners would elect to buy a new mower rather than pay the repair shops to keep this going.
bluemower
Guide

Re: Briggs 126T02-0309-B1 primer air box problem

Postby dart451 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:21 pm

Thank you for the feedback...you know, I put a new carb on and now I'm getting some squirt out of the bulb...
dart451
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum