• Advertisement

annoying-Briggs ipl doesn't match engine

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

annoying-Briggs ipl doesn't match engine

Postby 38racing » Thu May 28, 2020 9:13 pm

My daughter's neighbour gave me his mtd rider with 28n707-1166 e1 97.....engine. I've worked on it before. It was bought at canadian tire by his father and when he passed the son got it. There's no reason the shroud should not be the original. I have the head off. I went to replace the intake oil seal and realized the ipl part 690968 (which I put on another 28 series once) does not match. The engine has a metal cup with a grommet type rubber seal in it. I also notice that the ipl shows the retainer as being 499586 which uses the 2 half cone pieces for locking retainer. The engine actually has the one piece retainer with key hole to lock.
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: annoying-Briggs ipl doesn't match engine

Postby 38racing » Thu May 28, 2020 9:39 pm

lol. I checked pdf manual , no help. Then I checked a briggs repair CD I bought way back. One of the reasons I still run an XP computer. It says early production 28 ohv used a 2 piece intake valve stem seal. see figure 20. , but there's no figure 20. Then says current production use a 1 piece seal , see figure 19 which actually exists.
on the early the seal is in the cup and cup has flange that valve spring seats against head. On the one piece what actually holds the seal from moving up with the valve stem?
edit: ok found this
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3074&p=21921&hilit=intake+seal#p21921
I even posted. I guess later production head had recess for the seal body.

so in that case is the old seal available? or would you be looking at a new head if you wrecked the seal?
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri May 29, 2020 6:53 am

IIRC you need to apply MS10379. But maybe for a different head, Boy I should had noted which was for. But anyway you can check if this is the case.

A copy of the MS10379 is in the downloads > briggs service info > advance product service info directory
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sat May 30, 2020 10:08 pm

Thanks. Sheet was clear as mud. I googled it. There were previous threads on ppeten about it. Apparently it was a 6 hp ohv that it applied to.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun May 31, 2020 6:36 am

As I said I didn't know if it applied the 28 CI engine as I had forgotten to note it. I have learned to do better

Hopefully someone else as ran into this problem. I hard ever see a 28 CI OHV engine, nearly every rider rider with a Briggs single OHV engine has either the 31 or 33 CI engine.

I got a feeling that same is done to head however. Briggs can be out of it sometimes. Very irritating to us that are both dealers and non dealers. I have dealer access to the Power Portal and Briggs refuses to reply to my emails so sometimes it other techs that will to help on these forums is the only way to get correct answers.

And I have to note that some forums out there have member that are just guessing at what needs to be done. Or have other DIYers that will argue what is posted just to cause confusion.

If you happen to find the info please let me know so I can at least make a note of it here on my personal system for future reference as this will probably come up again somewhere down the line.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum