• Advertisement

Another Craftsman Lawn Vac

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Another Craftsman Lawn Vac

Postby lefty » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:19 am

This machine was just given to me.

247.770100 1E289C10623

She's in tough shape but she's mine. Doesn't run and has been sitting for some time. Oil leaking out of the bottom from below the deck but above the impeller, which I'm guessing is the seal on the crank but tough to tell without getting the engine off. I see there is a rather expensive tool for removing the impeller. 753-0900.

I've seen a few fellas online making their own but given the time involved with it, I'm thinking it would be cheaper for me to buy it. I know it's a little specialized but in the limited amount of time I've been working on stuff, this is the fourth craftsman lawn vac that's come my way. So my gut tells me this tool is worth having for me. Would love to hear anyone's thoughts on it. making one vs buying. I think I can get it for about $27 delivered. By the time I get to the hardware store and create something, It will probably cost me the same.

Regarding the machine, I think she's salvageable. But I won't know for sure until I find out where that oil is coming from. Definitely needs some work though. Exhaust valve is leaking but the cylinder looks good. I can get good leak down results when I block off the exhaust port with my thumb.

Not sure if this is the correct forum for the topic but I'm sure I'm going to have more technical questions as I go through this machine.
lefty
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Another Craftsman Lawn Vac

Postby Gerry » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:59 am

Might be possible to cut a couple of inches of 1/4 inch round stock insert into crank than use OEM bolt to pull the impeller. Would be risky.
Gerry
Guide

Postby lefty » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:26 pm

I think the hole and thread count are different on the impeller. Courser and bigger than the thread in the crank. 7/16-20 maybe?

I may just get the tool. Support a local shop and have the right tool for the job. This machine is mine but I'd hate to try to cut corners with someone else's machine in the future. If my welding skills were a little better, maybe I'd try to make my own but by the time I get that done....

But like I said, I know of 3 other machines just like this and the owners all live within a few 100 yards of me. I've seen them all and expect them to come back, the way people take care of stuff around here. Something tells me this tool is going to pay for itself.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby Norm » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:01 am

Saw this post on Amazon.ca concerning the tool.."Does the trick. Save yourself 20 bucks and buy a 1/4 inch diameter metal rod from a local hardware store, cut to about two inches, and insert into the impeller shaft, then screw in the holding bolt that came with the chipper/shredder. It will do the same thing."
Thinking this is similar to removing rotors from generators..but would suggest you get a grade 8 piece of rod..
Norm

Location: Quesnel. British Columbia, Canada (the beautiful Cariboo Region)

Postby lefty » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:06 am

Thanks. I got that impeller off and found where I think the oil is leaking. Looks like the sump gasket.

This should be a good little project for me. I have a parts list for this but need help with one thing. The throttle lever for this has broken clean off about flush with the throttle bracket and it looks like one assembly. This particular throttle bracket appears to be discontinued. 32264A (Superseded to 32264B).

Does anyone else know of one that may be interchangeable with this one? Or even a tip for a workaround. I plan on keeping it around for personal use.

Thanks
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:55 pm

It looks like the valve guide on the exhaust is worn out. Does this mean she's a goner?

Here's a short video of the slop.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/him9rcHFUuCDwkzS9
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:35 pm

I noticed on this one that although there is a keyway on the crankshaft, there does not appear to be a key or corresponding component on the impeller. I'm guessing this is supposed to be able to shift on the shaft?
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:02 pm

lefty wrote:It looks like the valve guide on the exhaust is worn out. Does this mean she's a goner?

Here's a short video of the slop.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/him9rcHFUuCDwkzS9

I would think you should be able to install a Briggs 1/4" exhaust valve guide. The LEV120-361082C guide spec is .2505".

Now take this with a grain of salt as I have done a Emissions Tecumseh engine and someone else might better if it can be done.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum