• Advertisement

4P90HU

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

4P90HU

Postby Gerry » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:47 am

Got a Craftsman (MTD) in with this 4P90HU engine. Owner said while cutting it starting blowing white smoke. When I check the oil I found a very high level. When I drained the oil I found almost 109 OZ, 57 is required, oil did not appeared diluted as my initial thoughts was a carb failure. I marked the gas tank and watched the level over a day no decrease so I added another gallon and remarked. Still no change in fuel level. I called the owner he said that he had changed oil but did not overfill.

Today with a Briggs leak down tester I did a leak down test, used 85# air, I can hear a tad of air thru the oil tube and carb but the needle on the gauge is not moving from where its set. Is it safe to assume the valves and head gasket are still good and the carb did not leak? I could do a pop off test on the carb but just cant convince myself that its leaking. I am think it was overfilled with oil.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Gerry
Gerry
Guide

Advertisement

Re: 4P90HU

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:07 am

Anything possible. Heck I got in a Toro ZTR right now that had something in the fuel tank that is not gasoline. Customer thinks he maybe accidentally fill the tank with diesel but I am not convince it is even diesel as I cant even ignite it with a propane torch when it is poured on a piece of sheet metal. My experience with diesel is that it flammable like kerosene.

If it was me I would do a pop off test just for the peace in mind that I did check it. Maybe a piece of trash cause the carburetor to leak and then that cleared the needle and seat.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Gerry » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:13 am

Thanks, yea will do the test just hate to do it.....its on the frame that I need to remove the carb studs (which I have bad luck with) or lift the engine so the fuel solenoid will clear.
Thanks again the help here is always appreciated.
Gerry
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:40 am

I don't like those figs too. Just did last week a Kohler CV742 on a JD Z915 where three of the four studs had to come out to get the carb off as it had two solenoids on it. Neither solenoid would clear the metal bracket. But could be worst like the Honda v-twin on a 15KW NorthStar generator I currently got apart where it is royal pain to get the carburetor off. Its fuel solenoid has to come out to even get carb and intake off and that solenoid is several pieces that any one of which can be lost easily.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum