• Advertisement

Noisy Transaxle

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Noisy Transaxle

Postby bob » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:59 am

I have a John Deere 160 from the 80's with a Peerless 801-038A transaxle which has served me well but now it is getting noisy. It has a whinny or almost dry like noise to it. Is there anything I can do to it by taking it apart or is it a case of it is just worn out and needs to be replaced. Thanks
bob
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: Noisy Transaxle

Postby Skywatcher » Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:32 pm

Hi Bob

These JD 100 series tractors with the Kawasaki engine were built to last as your unit has proven. What I have found with these transmissions is the input pinion shaft bearings along with the pinion an crown gear do eventually wear and become noisy. The bentonite grease in the transaxle also tends to harden up over time and no longer gets to all the moving parts. Fixing this noise may be a simple matter of dismantling the transaxle, cleaning out all the old grease and re-packing with John Deere Corn Head grease (P/N-AN102562) or some fresh factory original grease if you can find it anywhere. It is a good idea to check the bearings and mesh of the crown and pinion while the transaxle is apart and replace if necessary. Hope this points you in the right direction,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby 38racing » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:06 pm

Following. I was given a jd160 and it has some issues staying in gear.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:08 pm

38racing wrote:Following. I was given a jd160 and it has some issues staying in gear.

If its a peerless pancake, plan on replacing the shifter keys and even then , may have to also replace the shift gears that they engage. Rebuilt a lot of them back in the day, not a fun job, and looking at today's prices (where they are even available) , cheaper to just buy a new tractor.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Arkie » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:16 pm

I've put some 85/90 or better yet 90 140 diff oil in those Bentonite transaxles with some good results.

If I take one apart that has the bentonite grease I DO NOT go back with the POS bentonite grease. I just use EP 2 gun grease and some differential oil.

Bentonite grease is expensive and just cakes up and does not really provide good lubrication inside transaxles and actually shortens the life of a transaxle due to poor lubrication of the gearing/bearings, etc.
I've had to take as many as three of those Bentonite greased peerless to make a useable one.
You state that it skips.. Next time you have it apart look very close at the length of the teeth all around the big ring gear. I've seen some that the ring gear teeth were not hardened good and for like 1-2 inchs the adjacent teeth tips would be worn down just enough to allow the input pinion gear to lose mesh and cause the skip. Also worn down because the bentonite grease was not providing proper lubrication. (designed to purposely wear out)
Arkie
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum