• Advertisement

Husqvarna Will not start

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Husqvarna Will not start

Postby goulgetter88 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:13 pm

Hello,
It has been awhile for me. Almost couldn't fine the forum again. Anyways I have a a YTH21K46 Husqvarna with a SV610 21 HP engine and it will not start. New battery that has 12.4 volts which is good. I was thinking starter since when you turn the key it would click/bump but wouldn't do anything but occasionally would spin for a second. So I proceeded to check the voltage going to the solenoid. I have the same voltage with the key on going to the solenoid. I have also the same amount going down the the starter with the key turned. Still no start however. So took the starter of and proceeded to check it with it unhooked from the mower. When it is hooked up to the battery directly it spins and did soon several times in a row. Hook it back up to the mower and nothing again. :!: Im not a small engine mechanic but I know some of the most basic things to check.

Where to next??

Whos been through this and how did you figure out the issue?
goulgetter88

Advertisement

Re: Husqvarna Will not start

Postby goulgetter88 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:21 pm

goulgetter88 wrote:Hello,
It has been awhile for me. Almost couldn't fine the forum again. Anyways I have a a YTH21K46 Husqvarna with a SV610 21 HP engine and it will not start. New battery that has 12.4 volts which is good. I was thinking starter since when you turn the key it would click/bump but wouldn't do anything but occasionally would spin for a second. So I proceeded to check the voltage going to the solenoid. I have the same voltage with the key on going to the solenoid. I have also the same amount going down the the starter with the key turned. Still no start however. So took the starter of and proceeded to check it with it unhooked from the mower. When it is hooked up to the battery directly it spins and did soon several times in a row. Hook it back up to the mower and nothing again. :!: Im not a small engine mechanic but I know some of the most basic things to check.

Where to next??

Whos been through this and how did you figure out the issue?

Tried it again off the mower direct power and it moved much slower this time. Was it random chance it worked that first time? Maybe so but thoughts would be appreciated. I am just going to buy a starter
goulgetter88

Postby Skywatcher » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:34 pm

Hi GG

Here's where posting the machine's serial number along with the model is helpful as it gives us a better idea of the age of the machine. Does this unit have an hour meter? This can also be helpful.

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby bgsengine » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:22 pm

I'd suggest doing a search in these forums for voltage drop testing the ground side - a bad ground can act just like you describe - worn brushes and/or poor contact to the starter's terminal as well - and they all amount to the same thing - voltage drop.... Ive explained voltage drop tests so many times I don't want to repeat it all again here.. :) (and Im too lazy to find the posts for you, besides at the moment I am headed to bed..)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby 38racing » Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:45 pm

38racing
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum