• Advertisement

Briggs Electronic governor kit

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Briggs Electronic governor kit

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:29 am

Anyone got any info the Briggs 845825 electronic governor conversion kit? Even the a copy of the install instructions would be of help as I trying to understand its operation and setup. Don't seem to be anything on the Power Portal about it.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Briggs Electronic governor kit

Postby hanz63 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:52 am

Did you see the ASPI20? It's under DOCS 303447-1283-E1 .Dunno if it is close enough for your needs.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:44 pm

Well that is at least a starting point. Now how the world the this system senses the engine speed. Briggs info leaves a lot to desire sometimes. sometime I think they forget we in the field are clueless at times about a system.

Meanwhile I add that APSI to the downloads for others as I didn't have it here either.

Edit: I following the reference link to the SM and it is already ready there so I think already done looked at it.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:22 am

Well reading the SM test instructions. The following does make sense either. LINE #3. First it says it should move to WOT then [3a] if it doesn't move it is defective. Then the very next line [3b] says if it moves to WOT it is defective. IS either one right?
Boy is Briggs vague on this.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:56 am

KE4AVB wrote:Well reading the SM test instructions. The following does make sense either. LINE #3. First it says it should move to WOT then [3a] if it doesn't move it is defective. Then the very next line [3b] says if it moves to WOT it is defective. IS either one right?
Boy is Briggs vague on this.
maybe re-read..? It says in one if ACTUATOR does not move, it is bad, but if it DOES move to WOT , the MODULE (other component) is defective so my assumption is that in either case, the governor actuator should MOVE, but should (I assume) NOT move entirely to WOT as the module evidently would be supposed to limit or control that? (based on whether or not the module is getting any other active inputs?)

In other words, one part should move, but not within its complete range, which would be controlled by the other part, based on presence, or lack thereof, of active inputs from elsewhere.. I'd assume it would either use some sort of vibration tach to detect resonant frequency, or electronic tach from the ignition module, to determine engine RPM and control speed based on another input (such as electronic throttle control?) But then again, I have yet to EVER see one of these, and if it is new within the last year and a half or so, I probably am not even aware of its existence.. havent been to briggs portal in ages, and planning to let my master cert expire.. I am THAT done with the OPE business.. (consider me retired)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:42 am

Tnx BGS. How dumb of me to miss understand as I now can see what they mean. They mean control module. Maybe I should have had that pot of coffee first this morning. :lol: Anyhow I make a note in my copy of the manual here and post the updated manual.

Content changed to read "control module is defective" instead of just "module is defective". Also change to image on page before to label the "module" as "control module". Just makes things clearer in my opinion.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum