• Advertisement

Gasoline proof sealant/adhesive?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Gasoline proof sealant/adhesive?

Postby creia » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:23 pm

I have a vintage (50 years old) Briggs "Pulsa-Jet" carb I'm working on. I need to re-secure the short plastic fuel pickup tube into the hole in the base of the carb body. Briggs used some kind of black sealant/adhesive for this that is REALLY gasoline proof, even to fuel with 10% ethanol in it, like I use. Does anybody know what this stuff is or an equivalent?" I need something that is gasoline PROOF, not just gasoline RESISTANT. I have already tried JB Weld for this and it is the latter and it does not hold up very well and starts to soften. :(
Thanks for any help.
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Gasoline proof sealant/adhesive?

Postby RoyM » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:25 pm

Try Seal All. I successfully used it on a holed gas tank.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:04 pm

creia wrote:I have a vintage (50 years old) Briggs "Pulsa-Jet" carb I'm working on. I need to re-secure the short plastic fuel pickup tube into the hole in the base of the carb body. Briggs used some kind of black sealant/adhesive for this that is REALLY gasoline proof, even to fuel with 10% ethanol in it, like I use. Does anybody know what this stuff is or an equivalent?" I need something that is gasoline PROOF, not just gasoline RESISTANT. I have already tried JB Weld for this and it is the latter and it does not hold up very well and starts to soften. :(
Thanks for any help.
Michael

Umm.. look very closely at the carb body, you may find traces of threads... usually the short plastic tube was threaded in to the carb body , the black stuff was just a pipe thread sealer, I believe (ask an old 1960's era car guy about gasket sealant adhesive, perhaps..I think I still have a bit left in a small can - permatex brand.. from the early 1970's that was my grandfather's which he used in restoring his kaiser-frazers)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby creia » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:08 am

RoyM wrote:Try Seal All. I successfully used it on a holed gas tank.

Thanks Roy- I will look into that product.
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:12 am

bgsengine wrote:
creia wrote:I have a vintage (50 years old) Briggs "Pulsa-Jet" carb I'm working on. I need to re-secure the short plastic fuel pickup tube into the hole in the base of the carb body. Briggs used some kind of black sealant/adhesive for this that is REALLY gasoline proof, even to fuel with 10% ethanol in it, like I use. Does anybody know what this stuff is or an equivalent?" I need something that is gasoline PROOF, not just gasoline RESISTANT. I have already tried JB Weld for this and it is the latter and it does not hold up very well and starts to soften. :(
Thanks for any help.
Michael

Umm.. look very closely at the carb body, you may find traces of threads... usually the short plastic tube was threaded in to the carb body , the black stuff was just a pipe thread sealer, I believe (ask an old 1960's era car guy about gasket sealant adhesive, perhaps..I think I still have a bit left in a small can - permatex brand.. from the early 1970's that was my grandfather's which he used in restoring his kaiser-frazers)

Thank you Brian. I did see in my Briggs repair manual that they state the short fuel pick up tube threads into the carb body, HOWEVER...
My carb show no threads whatsoever and the OEM Briggs replacement short fuel pick up tube I purchased also does not have any threads on it.
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:03 pm

creia wrote:er and the OEM Briggs replacement short fuel pick up tube I purchased also does not have any threads on it.
Michael

New ones don't show any threads - they are just nylon - threads are cast into the carb body - they don't look like your ordinary bolt threads, but on close inspection, should see raised spiral ridges that look like ground-down threads (magnifying glass sometimes needed) - if they are not there, chances are good that they corroded away and the hole may be a little too big for the tube any more (if it slips in easily, that's what happened.. that or someone got too aggressive with a drill bit or something trying to remove old tube or cleaning out the hole, etc) Might be able to restore it if you have a tap (I think it would be a 10-24 tap, if I recall) that might be enough to "squeeze out" (dull tap helps, so don't throw away worn out taps.. LOL) enough metal to get a fresh grip on the tube, then it can be threaded in and sealed..
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:59 am

BGS what you are referring to is thread forming (cold forming) taps not to be confused thread cutting taps. They form thread by pressing threads into the material which raises threads instead of cutting them. A similar process is use on screws (bolts) to form threads that captive washers.

What we normally see are the thread cutting version.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:15 am

KE4AVB wrote:BGS what you are referring to is thread forming (cold forming) taps not to be confused thread cutting taps. They form thread by pressing threads into the material which raises threads instead of cutting them. A similar process is use on screws (bolts) to form threads that captive washers.

What we normally see are the thread cutting version.
Yep..(however the original threads were actually cast in the mold way back when, so I was told, by the Briggs distributor rep - this was back in the 80's, and we had a Briggs distributor just 40 minute drive from my shop) but I was not even sure if they are available in singles (any time I saw them, you'd have to buy like a 25-pack from an industrial supplier, had to have a tax license, commercial credit account, and orders had to be called in by phone or fax..) So.. I simply offered an alternative that I had used (once, ever, and as I said it was a DULL tap.. it got stuck and we used a torch to h eat the metal it was in to get it out.. in the process, destroying its temper.,.. it never cut again after that but for some reason it was still in the shop toolbox.. it had yet to be tossed in the scrap pile... ) and again, if the formed threads are gone, chances are the carb body no longer has enough meat left anyway to form new threads, but if a dull tap can raise some ridges just enough to get a friction fit, it might be rescued... otherwise it's yet another old carb body to be tossed on a scrap pile... as I don't know if any kind of liquid adhesive would be enough on its own to hold the tube in place (at least not on a permanently usable basis)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:09 am

These are a lot easier to obtain now or at least through McMasters Carr at about $12 ea plus SHC. Now of course I have an account with them as I buy other things like screws and other machining items including raw materials.

I do forget sometimes that not everybody is a professional shop. Anyway McMasters has lower prices than Fastenal and normally have items that I need only a day away. Glad I found them through a local machinist friend.

Here is an example of one of the Kohler screws PN 25 086 660-S which is $1.20 ea from my distributor which is only $0.4056 each from McMasters when know the right SKU number plus I buy them in lots of 25 ea. So by the time I need to replace all 8 screws @ $9.60 the 25 of the screws from McMasters looks very good at $10.14 especially when I got 17 screws left over for next two projects.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:32 am

bgsengine wrote:
creia wrote:er and the OEM Briggs replacement short fuel pick up tube I purchased also does not have any threads on it.
Michael

New ones don't show any threads - they are just nylon - threads are cast into the carb body - they don't look like your ordinary bolt threads, but on close inspection, should see raised spiral ridges that look like ground-down threads (magnifying glass sometimes needed) - if they are not there, chances are good that they corroded away and the hole may be a little too big for the tube any more (if it slips in easily, that's what happened.. that or someone got too aggressive with a drill bit or something trying to remove old tube or cleaning out the hole, etc) Might be able to restore it if you have a tap (I think it would be a 10-24 tap, if I recall) that might be enough to "squeeze out" (dull tap helps, so don't throw away worn out taps.. LOL) enough metal to get a fresh grip on the tube, then it can be threaded in and sealed..

Brian, Thank you for that information!
Michael :)
creia
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum