• Advertisement

Repair/replacement of recoil pulley retainer?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Repair/replacement of recoil pulley retainer?

Postby creia » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:13 pm

1969 Briggs 3 HP Model 80202 horizontal shaft:
This recoil shroud has the metal recoil pulley for the rope with the metal "tangs" that are bent in with the nylon bumpers that keep the pulley from falling out. I am down to only one metal tang/retainer- the other 3 are already broken off. :x Does anybody know a legitimate and reliable repair to add another retainer tang?
Thanks for the help.
Michael :)
creia
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Repair/replacement of recoil pulley retainer?

Postby 38racing » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:45 pm

Don't have one in front of me but about a small right angled piece held bt a sheet metal screw to the piece where old tab was extended from
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:46 pm

creia wrote:1969 Briggs 3 HP Model 80202 horizontal shaft:
This recoil shroud has the metal recoil pulley for the rope with the metal "tangs" that are bent in with the nylon bumpers that keep the pulley from falling out. I am down to only one metal tang/retainer- the other 3 are already broken off. :x Does anybody know a legitimate and reliable repair to add another retainer tang?
Thanks for the help.

I believe I actually still have some of those nylon repair clips laying around in a drawer somewhere.. they clip onto one of the "struts" between housing and recoil housing - and have a business end that runs on the recoil pulley in place of the bendable tangs..

Here's a secret I learned probably back in the 1990's... unless you need to fish out a broken/rusted spring, or replace a pulley there is often no need at all to bend the tangs out in the first place - most of those, both the rope and the spring can be replaced with recoil pulley still in place... made much easier with a pulley winder tool... rope, obviously you can pull out and replace rope while pulley is all wound up (wind up tight and back off til rope hole lines up with hole in shroud then back off one turn, then install rope..) - spring, you can also fish out the one hooked end from its notch in the housing (after removing rope from pulley and unwinding pulley tension, if there is any) and pull it alll the way out and half twist to unhook it from pulley - install new spring in the reverse order..

I am not sure if those repair bumpers are available any longer, but might be able to find them as New Old Stock (they were never OEM briggs, By the way .. I believe mine came in a bag of 100 from either Power Lawnmower Parts (which I think is now silver streak, possibly?) or I got them from Laser Sales (In Erie, PA) or from Foley-Belsaw (which now that I think of it may have been the original owner of PLP noted before) If you want I can see if I can dig them out .. PM me with mailing address and can send you some (or all.. I havent used any in YEARS!)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby 38racing » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:52 pm

Coincidentally themotormedic1 just posted a video of changing the spring on a 48 year old 5 hp.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:59 pm

38racing wrote:Coincidentally themotormedic1 just posted a video of changing the spring on a 48 year old 5 hp.

Do you have a link?
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby grunt » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:34 am

grunt

Postby aj-allen » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:24 pm

I have some of the repair starter bumpers they only fit 1/2" strut / arm I remember that they are ez to break.

https://imgur.com/gallery/F3M8Rd4
aj-allen
Forum Regular

Postby creia » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:37 pm

Thank you very much! :)
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:47 pm

aj-allen wrote:I have some of the repair starter bumpers they only fit 1/2" strut / arm I remember that they are ez to break.

https://imgur.com/gallery/F3M8Rd4

Yep, that's them.. probably every shop or tech that has been in business before 2001 or so, likely has a leftover stash in their "junk drawer"
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby creia » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:12 pm

Many thanks and my sincere appreciation to all who have replied. While the nylon bumper clips mentioned COULD certainly be a solution, I'm not sure that this is the way to go for me. :? These vintage engines I restore need to look as original as possible (the paint jobs actually look BETTER than original), as my clients/buyers are installing them in vintage mini-bikes and go-karts they are restoring. I think that these clips will stand out "like a sore thumb" especially installed on a top recoil strut as in my case. Again, I'm appreciative of the suggestion and MAY still have to go with the clips.

Here is another idea I was thinking about- I welcome your (candid) feedback.....
I have some old junk recoil shrouds that I could "canabalize" one of the unbent metal tangs. I cut carefully cut it off and weld it unto my 1969 shroud where it is needed. Then bend it down and install the nylon bumper (which I have NOS extras).I would think that with some grinding down of the excess weld and after painting it may not be visible as a repair at all. Your thoughts?
A special comment to bgsengine (Brian)- While I do thank you for your gracious offer to send me some of the clips, no need to go to that trouble as they are readily available on eBay as Oregon part # 43-009 and Stens part # 150-037 for a cheap price. I can purchase them there if I end up going that route.
I did learn something by posting this question- I never knew that they even made a "repair" (clip) for this application! 8-)
creia
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum