• Advertisement

Briggs crankshaft gear- A FIRST for me!

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Briggs crankshaft gear- A FIRST for me!

Postby creia » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:59 pm

1970 Briggs 5 HP 130202, horizontal shaft
This engine recently came into inventory. I took off the side cover off so that I could start taking the engine apart to inspect the internals, When I pulled the cam/gear assembly out, the crankshaft gear slid right off of the crankshaft! :o In 15 years I have never had one do this. Isn't this a "press" fit from the factory? There is a built-in raised "key" on the crank and the crank gear has a built-in slot that slides over it to align it in the proper position. I am able to (fairly easily) slide the gear on and off of the crank. Is this a problem? The gear cannot really move or otherwise go anywhere as the sidecover holds it in place.
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Briggs crankshaft gear- A FIRST for me!

Postby RoyM » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:21 pm

I have seen that but don't recall it on that model. It shouldn't be a problem unless the gear is sloppy on the key.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Re: Briggs crankshaft gear- A FIRST for me!

Postby bgsengine » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:22 pm

Sounds like you got a short block on your hands newer production did have separate crank gear, keyed to shaft, and they do come off relatively easily. Just be sure the timing mark is visible when putting them back in (could possibly be installed upside down and throw off your timing. or attempts to time it when you discover missing timing mark...)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Return to Technical Discussion Forum