• Advertisement

Water in a trimmer crankcase

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Water in a trimmer crankcase

Postby 38racing » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:32 pm

Remember I posted about a carb that failed vacuum test. It's for a ryobi mini tiller. I decided one last attempt with a cheap carb from amazon.ca. it fired but didn't stay running. I believe it's flooding/ hydrolocking. It may fire again but not run. Pull plug and it's wet. Repeat. Repeat. Then I noticed liquid at plug hole was sort or dirty. Compared to fuel mixture. Then I recalled that I inadvertently left it outside shop last fall as winter approached. With carb removed. Probably got rained or snowed on. What the chance that my problem is liquid in the crankcase due to my stupidity.
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Water in a trimmer crankcase

Postby bgsengine » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:11 pm

very good chance of that.. matter of fact simply leaving it outside at all can introduce water into crankcase by way of moisture condensation especially if it is covered (you'd think covering it would protect it, eh?) but exposed to direct sun (greenhouse effect under the cover, temperature difference leading to condensation and all that)

At least not the kind of stupid that I saw on one of those ryobi mini tillers.. this one had a weight box at the front meant to be filled with water or soil or something.. evidently someone (the owner said he'd just picked it up out of someone's disposal pile by the road waiting for garbage pickup.. but I had my doubts..) had dyslexic moment and I found stale gas/oil mix in the weight box... and you guessed it.. water in the fuel tank... :bricks:
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby RoyM » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:29 am

:lol:
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:49 pm

I removed crankcase cover. Wasn't as wet as I expected. I left open tilted down for a day. Back on and I have it running again.
38racing
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum