• Advertisement

Colman gen engine reuse

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Colman gen engine reuse

Postby wobbedennis » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:57 pm

http://www.perr.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12151
wobbedennis
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: Colman gen engine reuse

Postby okie » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:02 pm

wobbedennis wrote:http://www.perr.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12151

http://www.perr.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12151

Clickable link

Travis :usa:
John 3:16
okie
Forum Pro

Postby wobbedennis » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:28 am

Ok, I have got the gen off of the engine, and it's rebuilt. but now I have a new problem, the engine is difficult to turn over, What could be causeing this? Both of the engines ran prior to the tear down, but both had major issues that could be resolved by combining the two.
wobbedennis
Forum Regular

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:54 am

wobbedennis wrote:Ok, I have got the gen off of the engine, and it's rebuilt. but now I have a new problem, the engine is difficult to turn over, What could be causeing this? Both of the engines ran prior to the tear down, but both had major issues that could be resolved by combining the two.

Check your rod bearing cap. It could be on backwards these only go on one way; the other way way will cause binding. Also check your end clearance on the on the crankshaft.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby wobbedennis » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:55 am

ok will do, Why does it mount both ways if it's a directional cap?
wobbedennis
Forum Regular

Postby bgsengine » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:48 am

wobbedennis wrote:ok will do, Why does it mount both ways if it's a directional cap?

to clarify, they *CAN* be mounted both ways, but they only go on *correctly* one way.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:41 pm

bgsengine wrote:
wobbedennis wrote:ok will do, Why does it mount both ways if it's a directional cap?

to clarify, they *CAN* be mounted both ways, but they only go on *correctly* one way.

And I did install cap backwards just last week. I could could barely turn it through then it dawn on me to check that cap.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby mwerles » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:23 pm

when you put the engine together did you use the rod that was originally on that crank? If not there may be a mismatch of clearances between them
Les
mwerles
Forum Regular

Postby wobbedennis » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:44 pm

I used the same rod and crank, I got it, I installed the cap backwards :oops: :oops: :oops: It has been fully repurposed and runs like a top. It's now an air compressor. There's only one problem I'm running into, and that it's burning oil. It's drawing it up past the rings, it's not bad, just annoying. the hardest part of the whole thing was getting the throttle control down from the regulator. When it gets to pressure, it idles down, and when it needs to throttle back up, it does it. I've got this project beat. Now to move onto the wood splitter. It needs hydraulic work, and an engine. I have a Honda GX 300 for it, that's has 135 psi compression stone cold. It runs and it's just waiting for it to get here, and for us to get the seals for the ram.
wobbedennis
Forum Regular

Postby Mek-a-nik » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:19 am

From reading your other thread, I get the impression you're using used rings and piston?
"The internal combustion orchestra; sweet music."
Mek-a-nik
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum