• Advertisement

Cutting wheel off riding mower

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Cutting wheel off riding mower

Postby 38racing » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:07 pm

. I've exhausted the heat and penetrating oil and puller and air hammer. I have the bearing puller right on the hub and just can't get it to move. Just wonder how other cur off. I'm thinking of a slit in the hub from wheel to transaxle. Then more and more penetrant and more pulling might move it.. Wheel might be saveable by welding up the slit.
I could cut wheel off hub and that exposes hub for much more cutting of it.
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Cutting wheel off riding mower

Postby bgsengine » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:47 pm

depending on the reason removal is needed, Ive been known to pop the whole transaxle out and split the case , take apart differential and use a 20 ton shop press to press axle out (flat pancake transaxle needed to be serviced anyway) or I left the whole thing on and just pop the tire off the rim (in case of needing tire change/service) but other than that, there was no other way but to cut the wheel and hub off, I'd deflate the tire and beat the bead down on the rim to get tire off (assuming I wanted to not replace tire) and then just cut through the whole thing with a sawzall , split the hub lengthwise along the axle on opposite sides of hub and finish the split with hammer & chisel.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby 38racing » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:45 pm

Thanks. Since I wanted to tube it I decided to try that with wheel on tractor. Was easy enough to get beads broke and pull tire over outer wheel edge. After inserting tube it was not quite so easy get tire back over rim. A slightly larger c clamp and a 2nd one might have helped. Finally with my wife's help ( she stayed despite all my cursing) we were successful.
I did find a video that used 2 2x4s , some chains and a 20 ton hydraulic jack. Decided I'd try tubing with it on before going that route.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:20 am

I only done a few inner tube installs on 15X6.00-6 tire while still on the axle but installing on 18x and larger is easier. Many done here if I know no thorns are present installing tubes without ever taking the tire off the rim. I just break the bead, remove the valve stem without drop part of it in the tire, and install the tube. Just got to be patient.

But yes I frustrated trying to install tires on rims. I have found during the days heat to place an inner inside the new tire, inflate it, and sit the tire out in the hot sun. Then I let it cool overnight and then I remove the tube and install the tire the next morning. This helps a lot in getting the bead to seat on the new tire. I haven't been brave enough to the ether trick to blow the tire on the rim. I might one of those bead setting air tanks, just haven't got around to it yet.

And I feel your pain on getting older tire back over the rim. They can be a royal pain and have pinched a few tubes in the process which you might know means it all to do again. Lubing the bead helps.

And boy do I hate those 4-5 inch tires. I also dislike Bradford pear trees, so much that I have nearly 30 of them removed here; although, I keep the Northern wind break. Planting trees without thorns.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum