• Advertisement

wirng question

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

wirng question

Postby 38racing » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:42 pm

On another forum someone posted about 20 year old Craftsman Lawn Tractor model 917.271142 with a Kohler 16.5hp engine. They posted the schematic. It shows something I've never seen and don't understand. Maybe someone is familiar with it. It shows the 2 yellow wire from the alternator to the regulator. One yellow wire has a jumper to the 30 tab of an operator presence relay while the other yellow as a jumper to the 87a of the same relay. That means that if the relay is not activated the 2 yellow wires are in contact. What does that mean or the purpose?
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: wirng question

Postby bgsengine » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:50 am

hard to tell from your description, but one would wonder if it wasn't a parallel circuit? not sure if the same wires are used to activate the engine brake feature some kohlers had - uses the alternator as an electromagnet to bring engine to a stop faster. perhaps if you screen shotted the schematic or linked to it so we could actually look and trace out the circuits , might be able to tell you more.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby 38racing » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:38 am

38racing
Forum Pro

Postby Skywatcher » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:48 am

Hi 38

This feature is referred to as the electronic quick stop. The theory is once the operator presence system detects the absence of an operator, the system grounds out the ignition system thus killing the spark and shorts out the alternator to create a dynamic break effect for the engine. This system is usually only included on units with manual PTO engagement. Units with electric clutches just kill power to the clutch thus stopping the blades. Hope this makes sense,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:00 pm

I believe they were using the stator as an engine brake on that Kohler CV16. They are also disconnecting the regulator output at the same time they are shorting the stator.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:36 pm

Thanks. Obviously just another feature to go wrong lol.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:16 pm

Of the ones that I worked using a separate engine breaking stator winding I have yet to see a failure but this way of braking that I haven't seen personally here in operation. Interesting design though.

Now I have seen the relays to fail mostly from water intrusion.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:54 am

The poster was reporting fuse kept blowing.
38racing
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum