• Advertisement

Looking for a dead man switch

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Looking for a dead man switch

Postby hanz63 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:56 pm

Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket operator presents switch out there? I need to put one on my old Troy tiller before it ends up in the pond again...
hanz63
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Looking for a dead man switch

Postby SUKI » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:19 pm

SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby bgsengine » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:37 pm

hanz63 wrote:Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket operator presents switch out there? I need to put one on my old Troy tiller before it ends up in the pond again...

My solution? I'd rob a junked snowblower of its kill switch (with the plastic key) and rig it to the blower, loop a lanyard around wrist, tied to the key,, so if tiller runs away from you, lanyard pulls kill key out, engine shuts off. Luckily, I don't llive anywhere near a pond, so never occurred to me to rig an emergency stop to my old 1970's era Horse..
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:40 am

You might not but I was glad mine was there when my Bolens front axle caught a fire. I could set my place on fire with all the dry grass that was around at the time.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:55 am

Old toro blower has levers under the handle with a spring. When let go the lever went down and touched a wire end from the coil completing ground. Could likely use a spring switch like mtd used for the no reverse cut on the box. FNR units.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:42 pm

Thanks guys. I remember the old Toro units. Some of the model numbers yet too. Something self contained with the handle is what I seek. Maybe the DR brush cutter type, if someone I know stocks them. My distributor that I deal with the most is HOP and MTD. Though did Murray have something like that? I have a stock order going in this week if it's available.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:20 pm

hanz63 wrote:Thanks guys. I remember the old Toro units. Some of the model numbers yet too. Something self contained with the handle is what I seek. Maybe the DR brush cutter type, if someone I know stocks them. My distributor that I deal with the most is HOP and MTD. Though did Murray have something like that? I have a stock order going in this week if it's available.
I don't think it would be difficult to fabricate your own, pick up a cheapie cutting board from dollar store, cut yourself a rectangular piece, drill 3 holes, - the 2 outer for mounting to handle, the middle one a small pilot for a short sheet metal screw (that won't stick all the way through the plastic) , run your ground wire to that screw, then easy enough to rig a switch handle (a cobbled up way might be to use a piece of the cutting board with a spring steel grounding strap or shorting clip.. hacksaw blade? one end fixed to the bare ground (handle tube), other end sticking far enough to make contact with your "switch" and the strip of cutting board long enough to make a trigger handle, which can pivot on a bolt and nut, wrap a governor spring around the switch end to spring it tight against the stop switch, grab the other free end of board "handle" as the deadman control) Only issue I can see with such a control is, you'd need electric start, or you'd need a way to disable your deadman switch so you can start it up.. which is why I'd have suggested the re-purposed snowblower stop key & tether around the wrist instead... in which case, you could just buy one of those switches (and key) from either HOP or MTD... Or you could get the deadman switch from a DR stump grinder or one of their brush cutters... which might come with the handle you'd just have to drill and mount.. Lots of possibles I can think of, offhand.. Or, you can get one of those steering triggers from MTD tracked snowblowers (might even fit the troy bilt handle tube without mods) and rig up the cable to pull away a grounding strap from making contact...
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby hanz63 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:02 pm

Could be a plan BG..
hanz63
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum