• Advertisement

Kawasaki Choke Shafts

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Kawasaki Choke Shafts

Postby SUKI » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:37 am

Anyone else running into Kawasaki FX engines wearing choke shafts in two?

I had two in the shop in the last few years. The first one was a FX751V and now I got another one on a FX850V. These Nikki two barrel carburetors. The choke are wear completely in two along egging the through one. The first carburetor I was able to have a bushing made to fit after I resized the through hole but this second one looks a lot worst. Me and the owner of the equipment decided to wait a month or so until his mowing season is over before I attempt to save the $450 carburetor. Yesterday I just remove the broken choke assembly and the operator is going to hand choke it until the ZTR comes in for repairs.

Personally I just don't see why the choke shafts are wearing so much when there barely any wear on the throttle shafts. Could it be that there needs to be tension on the choke when it is wide open to hold it against its stop?
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Advertisement

Re: Kawasaki Choke Shafts

Postby SUKI » Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:56 pm

Upon completing the repairs I found the cause for the choke to wear in two. The new linkage wasn't fully opening the choke allowing it to constantly be moving. It was not a cable issue either. It was the linkage itself and probably was the same with the one that was lost. Reshape the linkage so the choke is now fully open with no play.

Btw the carburetor required me making a bushing from a 1/8 Schedule 80 brass pipe to repair the damage cause by the choke shaft.
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Technical Discussion Forum