• Advertisement

Treating Gas for Storage

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Treating Gas for Storage

Postby OverKnight » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:46 pm

Hello - I use Ethanol Shield in all of my gas cans, but would it be a good idea to also add the prescribed amount of something like Mechanic in a Bottle?

Thank you.
"I shall pass through this world but once. Any good I can do, or any kindness that I can show any human being, let me do it now and not defer it, for I shall not pass this way again."
- Stephen Grellet
OverKnight
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: Treating Gas for Storage

Postby bgsengine » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:55 pm

Not for storage - As Maintenance, you might want to run a bit of Mechanic in a Bottle through the machine a couple times AFTER bringing it out of storage, but other than that a good stabilizer like ethanol shield should be perfectly fine - Mechanic in a bottle if left to sit for too long can actually cause more problems down the road. (It can actually dissolve some types of rubber) In any case, as preventive maintenance, even with religious use of Ethanol shield (or even ethanol free gasoline) and the like, I would still recommend replacing fuel lines every couple or three years (in fact, fuel filter, if you are careful about using clean gas, you could replace lines and filter as a set every 2-3 years) But as regular storage, ethanol shield should do ya just fine.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby 38racing » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:37 am

Taryl fixes all (YouTube channel) did long term test that most stabilizers failed. He's just started another one.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby RoyM » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:06 am

I used a stabilizer in the last taank before putting the machine away for rhe season, That allowed it to circulate through the fuel system, I never worried about it when frequently replenishing my gas during the season.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:14 pm

I did watch a couple of the Taryl videos on this. Didn't know how it actually ended. Was there a better one in the group? A couple of others of his I've seen seems like he has his head on straight enough, despite the gimmicky character that brings folks to his channel. Who am I to say. I thought it said "fool stabilizer". It didn't make a good shampoo...
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:37 am

I never care for his videos as there is just too much fooling around for me. I not looking to be entertain when I am looking for repair info.

It like me doing my first differential in 35 yrs. Just need some refresher info for my Chev S1500 as I need replace the planetary and satellite gears as the left hand planetary is chewed up more than I care to leave as is. I would have not even know the damage was there but the lh axle seal started leaking on to the parking brake band and I smelled it. The dang fill plug had only left the depth of a standard plug so it striped out. Now I got modify the cover plate with a fill hole too just to get it back to an usable condition since it is my only vehicle. Now if the dang rain would stop so I get back under there to pull the cover.

Once I get the differential refilled then I order a set gears and new rh axle. At least the axle bearings were okay although the rh will replaced when I replace the damaged axle. At Rock Auto has the parts reasonable. Shipping might be a little rough as heavy as these are. Will compare to local price before ordering just in case local cost is the same.

If it wasn't for the last tech patching the rear differential I would not be in the mess I am in now. Boy do I hate used auto sales lots. They they just rig stuff up sometimes just get past the three day warranty.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:22 am

My son and I have used Sta-Bil Fuel Stabilizer "Storage" for over 15 years with excellent results. We are in California with ethanol-containing gas and some of our bikes have had fuel in them for over 1.5 years. The carbs do not leak and they still start right up.
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum