• Advertisement

TroyBilt Single Stage SnowBlower Carb

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

TroyBilt Single Stage SnowBlower Carb

Postby lefty » Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:04 pm

Machine:
31AS2B5-711 1K115B20336
96050 000001

Engine: LH195SP
67516D

I have a friend that gets machines that were traded in. It seemed to run fine but after a short amount of time, the RPM's seem to ride up.
Got up to about 3900, which I know is a bit high. I took the carb off to clean thinking maybe a lean condition or governor spring adjustment.
I noticed that the linkage was connected to the big hole. When I look it up, everyone seems to have it set to another hole.
I can tell from the screws that someone had it off before and am thinking it was connected to the wrong hole but wanted to verify.
The attached photo link shows the hole the linkage was connected to, in red, and the hole that I think it should go in, in greeen. I think it's wrong but wanted to confirm.
...but what the hell do I know?
Thanks.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/E3ZkZe3w5erJT99M9
lefty
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: TroyBilt Single Stage SnowBlower Carb

Postby Skywatcher » Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:01 am

Hi Lefty

Usually the governor link goes into the small hole at the 6:00 position to the large hole (the 8:00 position to the one you have marked in green) as pictured, otherwise the governor to throttle response is too twitchy. Another trick to finding the right hole is to look very closely and see if you can see which hole shows a small amount of wear from the governor link. You will need to reset the throttle shaft to governor shaft synchronization once you have the carburetor reinstalled. Hope this points you in the right direction,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby lefty » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:01 am

Thanks. That would make much more sense than that large hole.

What's throwing me off is this video I found from Donnyboy showing this linkage setup. The engine looks very similar to the one I got here.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AxdtsSWaZqLWEcrs5
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:49 pm

What are your thoughts on the position of this spring? The service manual and every other think I see shows it in a dramatically different location...closer to the top.

But this is my first crack at this engine set up so it may be ok.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QoSjEU2MkfZeq4Cy8

Thanks.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:17 pm

maybe check that throttle plate is not loose.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby Skywatcher » Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:15 pm

Hi Again Lefty

As I'm not sure which pictures are of your engine and which ones you borrowed from somewhere else, I'm going to assume that the last picture is of your unit. It is possible that the governor spring was relocated by the las person who had the carburetor off and evidently didn't know what they were doing. This appears to be as single set speed engine as it has the same governor spring anchor system as a portable generator. Here's what I would do in your situation.

Reinstall the carburetor connecting the governor link between the governor arm and the hole I suggested. Synchronize the throttle shaft to governor shaft and back the governor anchor nut out a few turns. Start the engine and see what RPM it attains. If you can bring engine RPM up to spec with a few turns of the nut, problem solved. If RPM is not attainable, move governor spring up a couple of holes on the governor arm and try again. Let us know how this goes and we'll decide where to go from there. All the best,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby lefty » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:04 pm

Will do. Thank you.

The photos were of the machine I am working on with the exception of the one I grabbed from a video showing the correct position...allegedly, according to the publisher.
lefty
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum