• Advertisement

Oil Sump gasket question.

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Oil Sump gasket question.

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:35 am

Working on Briggs 49M engine. Replacing the bad sump gasket. It looks like swiss cheese in two runs. I wondering it would hurt to apply Motoseal on both sides of the gasket as there signs wear on the cylinder block from the sump cover? According to new gasket kit I am am okay as I don't measure over .003 of warpage in any of area per the enclosed instructions.

Motoseal is a lot thinner [and sorta runny] than RTV but should fill in any gaps I don't see. I just hate have to pull the Hustler Super Z engine again as it is a real pain to get off.

Side note: When changing this gasket don't forget to check the oil screen. The one here was clogged with paper gasket remains. I have to replace it as the screen is separating from the plastic holder.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Oil Sump gasket question.

Postby hanz63 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:16 am

I take the sump bolts were loose? I don't guarantee that repair to start with. I'll always quote the correct repair as a replacement service engine. I use Gasgacinch to hold the gasket on both sides plus on anything that the sump bolts don't get replaced gets red Vibratite. If the sump comes loose again, it doesn't matter what you put on it. On a few 44" Briggs with higher hours, I've just flat out used Right Stuff instead of the gasket kit, prepped and locked the bolts. Briggs would want you to update the sump I'm sure.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Re: Oil Sump gasket question.

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:03 pm

actually the bolts seem have been tight but that might have been just the thread lock on them. I use an impact to remove them so no hand feel. Only one screw had oil on it.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum