• Advertisement

Briggs "Lock-Connecting Rod Screw" - Confusion?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Briggs "Lock-Connecting Rod Screw" - Confusion?

Postby creia » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:16 pm

The only ones I have ever installed were the short straps where you bend up the "ears" against the head of the rod bolt (Briggs part # 220756). I just purchased a rod for an old 1970s 3 Hp flathead I am restoring and it comes with 2 (thin) washers instead of the locking strap. It looks like they are Briggs part # 222282 if purchased separately. The instructions with the rod state to use these instead of the locking strap. Can someone tell me how these (typical/normal-appearing) flat washers can serve as a lock washer to keep the rod bolt from loosening?
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Briggs "Lock-Connecting Rod Screw" - Confusion?

Postby bgsengine » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:03 pm

hardened steel washers spreading out clamping load over a wider surface area, maintain clamping load (A.K.A. Torque) better than your typical mild steel washers (or locking straps) is what I always understood of them. They DO hold torque quite well - Kohler 's cast iron series that I used to rebuild 2-4 a day, they had similar (until they went to a compression sleeve and flange nut design) that held torque very well, rare to ever see one of those bolts come loose, unless con rod got so hot that the aluminum turned into plastic and threads pulled out with the bolt... I never did too many of the Briggs versions (most, it was more economical to short block the engine anyways, if the equipment was even worth the expense) but those that I did do, I never yet had any bolts come loose, long as they were properly torqued.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Re: Briggs "Lock-Connecting Rod Screw" - Confusion?

Postby creia » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:51 pm

Understood- Thank you Brian!
You have put my mind at ease about using these in place of the locking strap. :D
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum