• Advertisement

General Transmission RS800F

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

General Transmission RS800F

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:08 pm

Boy they are pain to repair. I had one in the shop that is simply worn out controls wise. The controls set has bad ball bearing along with plastic wear. So worn out that it was impossible to get in neutral to push the mower due to play between plastic parts. All the associated control bearings are rusted up. It cover itself is broken. The belt heavily worn. And on top that the friction pack is rusted up too. And this don't count the engine to variator belt being shot and the deck engagement cable being bad.

The customer wanted it fixed until he came by after I had already ordered the parts and they were already on the way except the friction pack which is back ordered. He said he not spending $350 on the mower. I had already knock off an hour of labor. Well I went ahead priced out the repair as if I had to use all Husqvarna parts and that estimate for the same repair would had been $496.

I can't help he is abusing the mowers by trying to use them like a bush hog. He hitting large rocks and running through tractor ruts. No wonder he is ripping out the NZTR steering, bending blades and even breaking spindles. What worst he got ripoff by local on an used mower purchase because he insisted on buying a Craftsman mower.

Oh well I through whining as I am re-assembling the mower so it can be return in an as is condition. One of the other two has a bad camshaft with the last one with a blown engine and bad transmission.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: General Transmission RS800F

Postby RoyM » Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:24 pm

Are you stuck with the parts you have ordered? A deposit should be mandatory before tearing into that junk.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:43 pm

RoyM wrote:Are you stuck with the parts you have ordered? A deposit should be mandatory before tearing into that junk.

Basically yes I am; unless, I try selling them on eBay. I just hate trying to send anything through the USPS. Lots things got lost the last two years.

I do have one other customer with a RS800 but it a pedal version [RS800P] and the parts will not fit it except for the belt.

Lesson learned...through it was a $200 mistake on my part.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:59 am

if he's not fixing it what's he doing with it ? parking it? should give to you for time spent.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:07 am

Oh he probably just do like he does with everything else park it in the barn just to collect dust.

Doesn't matter to me as fixing any rider up here for resell is not worth it as no one is willing to pay a fair price for one. I had one a couple years ago that spent over $400 in parts making it worth selling with a 90 day warranty. The best counter offer I got was $150 so I am parting it out now. I also completely gave up trying sell anything used as all offers were ridiculously low.

With all the customers and vendors showing their butts lately I am seriously considering closing the shop to general public and just sale off what I have in parts via eBay. It just not worth the headaches of dealing either one.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:33 pm

You probably will not believe this.

When I returned the mower. He thought I already got it repaired after telling me no to repair it. Then he asked how long take if I got the mower back in April and I said depends on how long it takes to get the parts since already sold the ones I had ordered. He got pissed and said he get someone else to repair it. I went to truck to get copies of the estimates and he walked off and back in his house. Good luck on finding that will do it for $50 in labor plus parts. I had prepared two estimates, one with all Husqvarna parts and one using GTI parts. He just can't understand why the ball bearing are rusted from leaving the mower outside with the transaxle covered in dirt and grass clippings.

Just don't need customers like that.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:31 pm

I feel for you. Myself I tell people whatever I do to this transmission, it will happen again. And it won't be cheap. I don't know what a good application for these GT's are, haven't seen one yet. The one distributor that had parts for them, dropped them like a rock. I did see that at one point, a complete assembly from Amazon could be had cheap.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:45 am

hanz63 wrote:I feel for you. Myself I tell people whatever I do to this transmission, it will happen again. And it won't be cheap. I don't know what a good application for these GT's are, haven't seen one yet. The one distributor that had parts for them, dropped them like a rock. I did see that at one point, a complete assembly from Amazon could be had cheap.

The customer here is rough on the transaxle. He mows about 6-7 acres then pulls a trailer loaded with water and feed for dogs probably daily. But after five years of it sitting out in the weather things do rust up long with constant wear of the plastic moving parts. He lost the axle seals only once so far. The transaxle actually held up a lot better than I would have thought.

His main problems has been deck problems though took out the NZTR steering too. The NZTR steering is pain to get straight as nearly every part of it has to replaced along some hydraulic bending of the drag links to get the toe right.

The distributor for the parts I know of is Gardner, Inc. Doesn't seem to be anyone else. But of they are also the Tuff Torq distributor along with Hydro Gear.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:42 pm

I had a guy last year that pulls hills with his, with chains on. Bought it as a return from Depot for cheap. Was not happy with the anticipated cost of repair. Go figure. The steering issues it seems like a new axle takes care of 85-90 % depending how much wear also in the pocket of the frame. There are adjustable drag links for some, but I make the adjustment in the spindle arms to get the toe set up if needed. They are what they are.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:29 am

I just don't these people that get a good deal that just wants to complain about repair costs.

The problem with the NZTR steering is even when install all new parts the toe out is considerable. Something like 1-2 inches. These mowers were being sold with the toe out, But I am surprise that bending the short links by changing their length by only 1/16" ea takes nearly corrects all of the tow out. When you got a many wear point as this system has it is nearly impossible to correct without changing out all of the steering parts from the sector gear to the spindles.

It is also why I use the press on many on the draglinks as many customers are el cheapos.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum