• Advertisement

Timing Marks on Kohler K214

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Timing Marks on Kohler K214

Postby dunoon2 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:43 pm

I'm re-building a k 241 I have a question about the timing marks, the dot/circle on the cam gear is between the tooth and the valley and the mark on the crank is between a tooth and valley too. I'm not sure whee to line up the gears. Any help would be appreciated.
dunoon2
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: Timing Marks on Kohler K214

Postby bgsengine » Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:06 am

shouldnt be a dot on crank gear, they're usually a line, although on engines with balance gears there's secondary marks on the counterweights.. Not to mention, I don't get how you're seeing a mark in the valley of crank gear teeth unless you're looking for marks on wrong side of crank? timing mark would be on the crankpin side of crankshaft, lining up with a gear tooth, not on the gear itself, usually. Generally the timing marks on the crank gear are perpendicular to the crankpin orientation (That is, if crankpin located so connecting rod would point straight up and down the bore, AKA BDC the timing mark would be roughly pointing straight out towards the cam side at a right angle - so a "dot" may be a casting defect in the crank (and the cut or engraved line on gear tooth may be faint) Kohler also had a way of counting teeth on the crank gear in the event a timing mark was lost or missing , but I only ever used that once, so long ago I can't remember what exactly it was. Because of assembly procedure, your PTO end of crank is not visible when assembling, so they put timing marks on the crankshaft side below crankpin "pointing at" the crank gear tooth (or whichever one it is closest to, but not gonna be centered between teeth) and as noted that is typically perpendicular (at right angles) to the crankpin throw, and usually when the crank is pointing towards BDC, or straight up, assuming the block is upside down on head surface (easiest assembly position)

Some marks, however are actually cast ridges in the crank (they're actually cast into the crankshaft when it is being forged) One final way to check if you have timing pretty much right is to observe valve tappet action as the crankpin comes up to, and passes top dead center - on one revolution, the valves shouldn't move (though exhaust may seem to slightly twist or barely move due to compression release) and on the other revolution you see the classic valve overlap (exhaust just closing, intake just opening, but both open at same time very briefly at TDC) - you'd want to run through the hand cranking by hand to be sure (since you won't have con rod on it, nor the closure plate)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:40 am

BGS, Would have a printed SM that you could maybe pull a clean image from of the timing. That is if you haven't already gotten rid of the manual. The SM I got from Kohler is not really readable, just too black. I was going to try post an image but what I got is basically useless.

Also to Dunoon2 if you can post an image of the marks you are referring to as that might help BGS to see what you are seeing on your end.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:03 pm

KE4AVB wrote:BGS, Would have a printed SM that you could maybe pull a clean image from of the timing. That is if you haven't already gotten rid of the manual. The SM I got from Kohler is not really readable, just too black. I was going to try post an image but what I got is basically useless.

Also to Dunoon2 if you can post an image of the marks you are referring to as that might help BGS to see what you are seeing on your end.

https://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg2 ... rks006.jpg

http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/images/crank.gif

As shown, timing marks are not on the crank gears themselves. timing marks are little notches on the side of the crank that "point to" the appropriate gear tooth - Because of the helical nature of the gears, timing marks only line up once they are mated and installed and properly timed
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:16 pm

BGS that should help him out especially the comment the gear shape. I only ran into that type of gear train a couple times.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:46 pm

bgsengine wrote:
KE4AVB wrote:BGS, Would have a printed SM that you could maybe pull a clean image from of the timing. That is if you haven't already gotten rid of the manual. The SM I got from Kohler is not really readable, just too black. I was going to try post an image but what I got is basically useless.

https://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg2 ... rks006.jpg

http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/images/crank.gif

As shown, timing marks are not on the crank gears themselves. timing marks are little notches on the side of the crank that "point to" the appropriate gear tooth - Because of the helical nature of the gears, timing marks only line up once they are mated and installed and properly timed

pretty clear from the pictures but is there a little dot on tooth of crank 2nd down from the correctly aligned tooth? that would be confusing.
38racing
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum