• Advertisement

2-cycle Fuel Hoses with or without Clamps

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

2-cycle Fuel Hoses with or without Clamps

Postby Merkava_4 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:24 am

Comparing STIHL to ECHO.

Echo uses hose clamps while Stihl does not.

I'm looking at hoses with an O.D. of 5.7mm and an I.D. of 3.1mm. STIHL# 0000 937 5004.

My thoughts are that you could probably get away with reusing a fuel hose a couple of times if it has a clamp. But hoses without clamps have to be fitting pretty snugly or they're going to leak.

What are your thoughts are on clamps verses no clamps?
Last edited by Merkava_4 on Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Merkava_4
Guide

Advertisement

Re: 2-cycle Fuel Hoses with or without Clamps

Postby RoyM » Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:17 pm

For the price of bulk hose it is not worth the aggravation. I hate those dang clamps. Sometimes there is a specialty hose that is only available OEM, old Homelite and McCulloch saws were good for that but few of us are foolish enough to muck with that stuff. I admit I do lol.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:08 pm

Echo's clamps are for the most part just sections of "spring" and no tools needed to R&R them - Stihl's fuel hoses (most that I recall) are usually formed, and they have formed ribs on the O.D. that work as clamps in a similar way, or they fit on widely flared fittings , both of which tend to achieve a nice snug fit as well. Echo's clamps are re-usable (unless they rusted away, but then if there's rust you got worse problems than fuel hose)

As far as re-use of fuel lines, since 2015 or so, I always made a habit of replacing fuel lines every couple years (or if I didn't know the last time the lines were replaced) - Fuel lines can look perfectly good - even "like new" on the outside, but still be rotting away on the inside, and fuel line was cheap enough that it really was just "cheap insurance" against future problems. With Echo, I'd often just throw in a "repower" fuel line kit, in a shop setting (time is money) it was cheaper to just do the kit rather than try to cut individual pieces of line.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:01 pm

You should be able to use Echo 3mm x 6mm to replace the Stihl line. Here I use Rotary 13370 ID 3mm, OD 5.7mm line which replaces ECHO 90015.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Merkava_4 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:14 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys. It's my STIHL weed whip FS 91 R. It was leaking fuel, so I replaced all the hoses. One nice thing about Stihl is they specify the length of each hose directly on the parts drawing. I discovered that I can use Stihl press fluid (0781 957 9000) to help slide the hoses onto the barbs. I also discovered that hemostats help push the hoses on. It's good to know that I can use Echo hose because the Stihl hose is about $50 for 1 meter.
Merkava_4
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:15 am

Everything Stihl is going through the roof lately.

Plus I haven't gotten over the Stihl attitude about the Zama carbs yet. Local dealer can't even get me the full carb kits and when he does find a price it is nearly as much a complete carb. Boy I miss being able to get the kits from my Zama distributor.

I just did 7 brush cutters and billed the customer over $876 for repairs as I had to install 5 carburetors. That with even cutting my labor charges to ease the pain for the customer. I still got one FS94 that is going around $200 to repair as I got to tear it down to install gaskets and seals. Oil and dirt all over the lower half of the engine.

And boy everything coming in the shop need major repairs lately.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum