• Advertisement

Adding natural gas ability to a dual fuel generator?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Adding natural gas ability to a dual fuel generator?

Postby Matt » Thu May 26, 2022 9:36 pm

Hello Y'all, i have a dual fuel 8KW generator(gasoline/propane) and want to add a natural gas connection to it. I have the parts manual for this generator and have downloaded the parts manual for the virtually identical generator that has natural gas as well as my dual fuel, hence, its called a tri-fuel. i think the only difference is the regulator????
This manufacturer doesnt offer and add-kit for the dual fuels and searching the net, i was able to find a few of the kits that would allow this, but these seem to be for adding propane/natural gas to a gasoline engine.
Have any of you done this add-on and would you care to share what parts you used or at least some advice as to where to start, im thinking i would need a regulator only to allow this to happen. I think that a few parts from a hvac supplier would be needed. Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated, thanks, Matt

p.s i did search and found this topic previously posted, https://ppeten.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=347&p=2524&hilit=natural+gas+conversion#p2524

The link to a .pdf file doesnt work anymore, might be a good read but unfortunately doesnt work anymore.
Matt
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: Adding natural gas ability to a dual fuel generator?

Postby bgsengine » Thu May 26, 2022 10:04 pm

for natural gas you also need to change the nozzle orifices (jets) I believe, in addition to the regulator...
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby 38racing » Fri May 27, 2022 8:48 am

i bought a Chinese complete kit
that included the carb for my 3500 watt. propane uses regulator from tank and natural gas direct like bbq. there's a screw I have to remove and move a small lever. I assume that changes the orifice. I haven't tested ng yet. I did see a video recently of a guy adding ng to his dual. not sure if I saved it.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby Matt » Fri May 27, 2022 9:59 pm

bgsengine wrote:for natural gas you also need to change the nozzle orifices (jets) I believe, in addition to the regulator...

bgsengine, i think the carbs are the same?? just going by the parts diagram. I have not taken the carb off or apart for that matter but it has a direct port, approx 1/2" diameter tube off the top of it, roughly 1 o'clock position. I think the jetting would be needed when on gasoline. Thanks
Matt
Forum Regular

Postby Matt » Fri May 27, 2022 10:03 pm

38racing wrote:i bought a Chinese complete kit
that included the carb for my 3500 watt. propane uses regulator from tank and natural gas direct like bbq. there's a screw I have to remove and move a small lever. I assume that changes the orifice. I haven't tested ng yet. I did see a video recently of a guy adding ng to his dual. not sure if I saved it.

38racing, yes, i see them as well, 2 popular brands seem to be coming up everywhere, and one claims Made In USA???? I saw a short video from a dude from MI, a small engine shop i think, he advertises the conversion kit on installs it on the very genny i have, but its not his kit, its the made in USA one. Thanks
Matt
Forum Regular

Postby Matt » Fri May 27, 2022 10:07 pm

Im not able to see the regulator in the parts diagrams for either of the 2 generators, but looking at the generators, they both use the same inlet port and the switching is the same on both. I think the manufacturer may be clever and just include the hose for the NG hookup along with the propane hose, while the dual fuel only includes the propane hose. Looking at mine today, im sure i can run the genny on NG, im not seeing why not??? Im huntin wabbits :D
Matt
Forum Regular

Postby Matt » Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:32 am

update

i did get my genny running on NG, its now a tri-fuel as some call it. there is a reducer/orfice at the regulator outlet that you have to look real hard to see, a flat blade screwdriver will engage the 2 notches and allows you to unscrew it out. once that is done and removed, you can return the rubber hose back onto the regulator, this is the hose that runs from the regulator to the carb, mine is not barbed just a straight piece of 3/8" tube with a flare on the end. now what needs to be done is a metering valve need to placed in between the regulator and the carb, this vavle is used to adust how much NG or propane will need to go to the carb from the regulator, you can start with the valve wide open and when the genny starts running for couple of minutes you can start dialing back the valve till you hear it start choking, either NG or propane, then a full turn out from there is all that would be needed. its actually quite easy to do but not much info out there or no one is willing to tell you how, lots of "you need to buy a new regulator from us"....blah blah. The hardest part was finding the orfice, mine is essentially a bushing that is in the regulator, hard to see but with a magnifying glass, there it is. If anyone has any questions, i can tell you what i have done, and it works properly, just post and ill reply. enjoy you summer and see you in the funny papers, Matt
Matt
Forum Regular

Postby 38racing » Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:24 am

I've yet to test mine on ng but my assumption is that I have lever on unit in propane position and run propane through the regulator just like the bbq. For ng I assume I switch the lever andrun ng straight fro my house line that I use for my bbq, no regulator.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby Matt » Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:03 pm

38racing wrote:I've yet to test mine on ng but my assumption is that I have lever on unit in propane position and run propane through the regulator just like the bbq. For ng I assume I switch the lever andrun ng straight fro my house line that I use for my bbq, no regulator.

Hey 38, if im following correctly, you have a regulator already on your gen? if so, u need to connect your NG in the same manner you do your propane, has to go throught the regulator. You need a regulator, either the one you have or you have to buy one, this will allow you to run either, but your on propane so you have one already.
You have to use the regulator and then a valve of your choosing to govern the amount of flow to the carb, any restriction/orfice from the regulator has to be removed so that the max of NG can get to the carb, the engine needs far more NG than it does propane to run, especially under load. the reason for the valve is if you ever wanted to run propane again, it needs to be throttled back, the engine needs less volume of propane to run at the same output of NG. If you wish, reply with a little more detail, ill reply. Matt
Matt
Forum Regular

Postby 38racing » Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:40 pm

Unit may have built-in regulator but I think propane tank psi is different than house ng and that's why I need the bbq propane reulator. When you use propane are you using the same setup as for your bbq?
38racing
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum