• Advertisement

V-belt Question

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

V-belt Question

Postby SUKI » Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:36 pm

What id the difference between a "B" and a "HB" v-belt?
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Advertisement

Re: V-belt Question

Postby bgsengine » Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:19 pm

SUKI wrote:What id the difference between a "B" and a "HB" v-belt?

The profile - cross section.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby SUKI » Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:33 pm

Then that might explain why the Stens belt only made it about 50 hrs. It failed because the belt covering started coming off and then chunks of the belt gave away. I better just go back with the JD belt as this Stand on is a pain to get to drive system. Then PTO clutch has to come off to even get enough slack to remove the belt.
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby SUKI » Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:07 pm

I think figured what the problem is. Both hydro pump pulley has set screw hole in the v part and it appears the v-belt; although, rated as a "B" belt was bottoming enough to catch the set screw holes. damaging the belt cover. I got the JD belt on the way and hope that resolves the problem.
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Arkie » Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:00 am

This does not happen often but bgsengine casually mentioned once about the v grooves actually wearing on the sides and belt goes deeper into the pulley and causes issues with the belt.

Every once in awhile I see such on lawn tractors and air compressors and it's usually the drive pulley. I've seen some steel pulleys that wore deep enough on the sides that they have a small hairline crack.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby SUKI » Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:12 pm

Pulleys are fine just appears to be the wrong style belt. New JD belt ordered.
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby SUKI » Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:36 am

Well got in the new belt. It looks to the same as a standard "B" belt. What I did notice comparing the Stens belt to the JD belt is how the covering is on the belt. The Indian (India) made belt the cover edge was right at the bottom side edge where as JD it about midway of one the sides so I am thinking that the set screw hole was rubbing on the cover edge destroying the belt.

Either way I got to install the new belt so the finished edge of the covering is trailing instead of leading as it enters the pulleys.
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby SUKI » Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:56 am

BTW, This an image of the old belt as to what happen after 50hrs. There is one place a lot worst that is not in the image.
Please be aware there is shadows in the image due the angle of the Sun.
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Technical Discussion Forum