• Advertisement

2017 Hustler

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

2017 Hustler

Postby jerkputter123 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:39 pm

I have a 2017 Hustler zero turn with the Kawasaki engine.
code FX730V-C517-R ENO FX730VB19187
Got a little over 600 hours on it. I noticed in the last few weeks when I shut it off it backfires. Not every time but often. I am assuming the backfire valve is going bad on bottom of carburetor with wire running to it.
I have also noticed it started running richer than in the past. Gas smell is noticeable than in the past . I see no way to lean it out but I haven't looked that hard. I assume the adjusting screws have been blocked off or maybe there is a special tool I need to do this. This mower has been serviced when manual calls for it to be and taken good care of. Tips appreciated. Tom
jerkputter123
Guide

Advertisement

Re: 2017 Hustler

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:25 am

FX730V-CS17 instead of FX730V-C517. For the sake of looking up the engine's IPL, the R can be dropped as it just indicates the engine was just sold in a rack of engines.

First the two mixture screws are hidden under a couple welch plugs. But they seldom ever need adjusting.

But it is more likely that you have a fuel seepage problem cause by failing o-rings. The spacer (jet/fuel tower) has an o-ring on the inlet that will leak overfilling the fuel bowl. Also the two Nikki main jets has o-rings that will harden and shrink causing the jets to become loose allowing fuel to bypass the jets. Be careful when you disassemble the carburetor as these tiny jet are easily lost.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby jerkputter123 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:49 am

KE4AVB wrote:FX730V-CS17 instead of FX730V-C517. For the sake of looking up the engine's IPL, the R can be dropped as it just indicates the engine was just sold in a rack of engines.

First the two mixture screws are hidden under a couple welch plugs. But they seldom ever need adjusting.

But it is more likely that you have a fuel seepage problem cause by failing o-rings. The spacer (jet/fuel tower) has an o-ring on the inlet that will leak overfilling the fuel bowl. Also the two Nikki main jets has o-rings that will harden and shrink causing the jets to become loose allowing fuel to bypass the jets. Be careful when you disassemble the carburetor as these tiny jet are easily lost.

Thanks, I think you are correct about the numbers. Sorry about that. The 5 and S look the same as my eyes age, even with good glasses lol
Where would I get these o-rings ? in a kit I assume ?
EDIT : I found a video on youtube that shows what happens on these since you posted. I see how that tiny jet could be lost. I will be careful.
Nothing but none ethanol has ever been used on this mower. Viton o-rings I assume would be what I would need or better yet just order the repair kit if you by chance had the correct part number. Again, thanks for your help. Tom
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:16 am

Don't mention glasses my eye sight is at a point where the eye doctors can't even get mine to where I see far and near. Just I have been this most of my life. I even tried to get two pair made, one for distance and one for close up work like reading the computer screen. They can't even get the second pair right. What I do now is to slip over my distance pair a pair 1.25 readers or just get close to screen without them. Oh I know it looks stupid but we have to things that works for us. I am constantly stepping on my distance pair as when I lay them down I can't see them. That why I buy multiple pairs at a time. Beside Tramlaw gives me a discount on the additional pair.

I love contacts but they were damaging my corneas. My eyesight had went from -350 to over -700 wearing them but I didn't the problems seeing like I do with glasses. My see is now back to -325/-.350.

I have yet to see a carburetor kit for the Kawasaki engines. For the last 10+ years I have been having to stock the individual o-rings and gaskets. I do think there are kits that dealers can get but I have to find a reference to them. At least I did find an assemble cylinder kit chart which cost less per head than the individual parts. But the chart only covers the FS/FR/FX engines.

Parts needed>

92055-7013 Nikki jet o-ring.
11061-7037 Gasket - Tower
92055-7024 O-ring - Fuel inlet tube
92055-7016 O-ring - Base of Tower
11061-7038 Gasket - Fuel bowl
16030-7004 Float Valve (if needed)
11061-7092 Carb to intake manifold gasket (two used but as purchase as needed)
11061-7043 Air cleaner to Carb Gasket (purchase as needed)
13280-7004 Plastic linkage holder (as needed but I do recommend having a couple on hand as they and the metal ones tend to break at the most inopportune time).

92055-7013 and 92055-7024 are sold individually but can be gotten in packs of 5. Most of the parts are fairly low cost except for the Float valve which is around $20. I do recommend buying the jet o-ring in packs of five as they are tiny and can easily get lost during installing them on the jets.

As for where to get them other than the local dealer try Jack's Small Engines or Partstree. For me I buy them through my Kawasaki distributor and I keep them in stock so I can quickly access them and then reorder on stock orders to save on shipping which has gotten expensive on orders under $225. Jack's is still fairly reasonable on shipping and they usually ship to me via FedEx so even for me here along the AL/TN line it only takes a couple days once shipped.

One note the throttle shafts do wear heavily at times and need replacing but the carb body may need to have custom bushings made and installed. I had to several here and my machinist has retired so I going to buy my own lathe now to make them.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby jerkputter123 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:34 pm

Thanks so much for this info. I think I am going to get those two o-rings and replace them. I see them on amazon and from what you tell me I am betting that's the problem. When I get it apart if I tear any gaskets or see something else I need I will order that also. Great information. I will report back my finding. Thanks again. Tom
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby jerkputter123 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:16 pm

KE4AVB wrote:Don't mention glasses my eye sight is at a point where the eye doctors can't even get mine to where I see far and near. Just I have been this most of my life. I even tried to get two pair made, one for distance and one for close up work like reading the computer screen. They can't even get the second pair right. What I do now is to slip over my distance pair a pair 1.25 readers or just get close to screen without them. Oh I know it looks stupid but we have to things that works for us. I am constantly stepping on my distance pair as when I lay them down I can't see them. That why I buy multiple pairs at a time. Beside Tramlaw gives me a discount on the additional pair.

I love contacts but they were damaging my corneas. My eyesight had went from -350 to over -700 wearing them but I didn't the problems seeing like I do with glasses. My see is now back to -325/-.350.

I have yet to see a carburetor kit for the Kawasaki engines. For the last 10+ years I have been having to stock the individual o-rings and gaskets. I do think there are kits that dealers can get but I have to find a reference to them. At least I did find an assemble cylinder kit chart which cost less per head than the individual parts. But the chart only covers the FS/FR/FX engines.

Parts needed>

92055-7013 Nikki jet o-ring.
11061-7037 Gasket - Tower
92055-7024 O-ring - Fuel inlet tube
92055-7016 O-ring - Base of Tower
11061-7038 Gasket - Fuel bowl
16030-7004 Float Valve (if needed)
11061-7092 Carb to intake manifold gasket (two used but as purchase as needed)
11061-7043 Air cleaner to Carb Gasket (purchase as needed)
13280-7004 Plastic linkage holder (as needed but I do recommend having a couple on hand as they and the metal ones tend to break at the most inopportune time).

92055-7013 and 92055-7024 are sold individually but can be gotten in packs of 5. Most of the parts are fairly low cost except for the Float valve which is around $20. I do recommend buying the jet o-ring in packs of five as they are tiny and can easily get lost during installing them on the jets.

As for where to get them other than the local dealer try Jack's Small Engines or Partstree. For me I buy them through my Kawasaki distributor and I keep them in stock so I can quickly access them and then reorder on stock orders to save on shipping which has gotten expensive on orders under $225. Jack's is still fairly reasonable on shipping and they usually ship to me via FedEx so even for me here along the AL/TN line it only takes a couple days once shipped.

One note the throttle shafts do wear heavily at times and need replacing but the carb body may need to have custom bushings made and installed. I had to several here and my machinist has retired so I going to buy my own lathe now to make them.

I am willing to just install a new OEM carburetor on this mower. I know they are high but this way I will have a spare to repair later. Right now I need this mower cutting grass.
You think this one will work ? I can buy it through amazon shipped from a dealer. $319 plus tax.
Kawasaki Engine Carburetor Assembly 15004-1011 New OEM
I tried the local Hustler dealer and they are lost and I wouldn't be surprised if they shut the doors soon. Nobody could answer if they could get me one. I try and buy local if can but in this case no. Never going back there again.
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:00 am

That is the correct PN for the carburetor.

Not too bad considering shipping is included. Here my cost is $287.78 with a suggested retail price of $353.12 from my Kawasaki distributor. Shipping is getting ridiculous for the end users and shops. Good for me as this would ship with free shipping as I would the free ship level the distributor set though they are tacking on a $1.87 handling fee now on every order. That is still way cheaper than trying to get a similar from JD. The last one they want $600+ for it. I made and installed a bushing and charged the customer $25 for the custom brass bushing along with needed o-rings and gaskets,

As for the Hustler dealer no telling what is in their contract with Hustler. They may have to buy the engine parts from Hustler to maintain the dealership. Being independent here I don't have this problem.

Now I seeing some shops that are so lazy they are turning away business or like a local Hustler dealer that was trying to ripoff a customer here because the engine is smoking at start-up. They have told him at least three different stories on why they think he needs a $4000 engine on a $17,000 mower. The customer has it in my shop now and all I am finding is No 1 has some oil on the spark plus which probably just valve stems seals and maybe valve guides. If valve guides it means a new head. They told the engine is bad but there is no way it could cut 4 foot tall grass if the engine was as bad as dealer makes out it is. I will be pulling the head next week as I just got in the seals and head gasket Friday. It is may first FXT00V (FX1000V) engine.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby jerkputter123 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:37 pm

KE4AVB, I decided to just order the parts you showed . Found a seller on amazon who had them . When grass cutting slows down I will dig in there and see if I can get this running leaner. I can't thank you enough. I will post back when I get it running.
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby jerkputter123 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:12 pm

KE4AVB wrote:FX730V-CS17 instead of FX730V-C517. For the sake of looking up the engine's IPL, the R can be dropped as it just indicates the engine was just sold in a rack of engines.

I have problems where I couldn't get to this mower so I got a friend of mine to install the orings I ordered that you mentioned. He told me he didn't install them but removed the welch plugs and adjusted it. It now runs good but will it last ? Will it start back doing this ? Sort of made me mad he didn't even attempt to install put the orings .
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:05 pm

Some techs are plain lazy.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum