• Advertisement

Briggs & Stratton "Service Bulletins"

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Briggs & Stratton "Service Bulletins"

Postby creia » Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:38 pm

Are these available online? I'm working on an engine and the Briggs L-Head Repair Manual states "Refer to Service Bulletin # 479."
Thank you,
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Briggs & Stratton "Service Bulletins"

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:59 pm

Not listed on the Briggs Power Portal site so I would need email them to see if they still have that old service bulletin about the chrome rings.

I might find in the engine info if you post the Model, Type, and date Code numbers and what it is on as they sometime file it under that on the Power Portal. But to even send email request Briggs wants that info.

I know I don't have it in my files. If anyone else has it I would like a copy myself to put in the files.

Either way we darn lucky if Briggs even has the rings any more with their current attitude. If seems anything older than five years I am having problems getting any parts for.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:41 am

Yep - think you need model/type/ date code (or at least you can sorta GUESS at date code if you know about how old the engine is and build your own) .. Briggs manual says specifically: "Note: Chrome ring sets are available for all current aluminum and cast iron cylinder models (except Model Series 100700), no honing or deglazing is required. The cylinder bore can be 'worn to' a maximum of .005" oversize when using chrome rings. See Service Bulletin 479 or Engine Parts List."

Note where it says "or ENGINE PARTS LIST" . Wish I could remember what it was about, I used to know a lot of that stuff right off the top of my head, but it has been way too long since dealing with those issues (well over 15 years now since I last had to think of rebuilding a briggs vs short blocking)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:19 am

BGS you letting your age show... :lol:

I am in the same boat as I probably forgot more than I care to admit...
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:13 am

Thank you for the replies. :) Here are the engine numbers if that could help find that # 479 bulletin:
M: 80202
T: 0252 -01
C: 6712063
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby SUKI » Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:30 am

Michael, The only thing I found on the 080202-0252-99 is the IPL and Owners manual on the Power Portal so I try sending an email to Briggs using the number you provided it wil be sometime next week before I get a response.
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby creia » Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:30 am

SUKI wrote:Michael, The only thing I found on the 080202-0252-99 is the IPL and Owners manual on the Power Portal so I try sending an email to Briggs using the number you provided it wil be sometime next week before I get a response.

Thank you SUKI!! :D
Mikchael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby lonewolf » Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:50 pm

KE4AVB wrote:Either way we darn lucky if Briggs even has the rings any more with their current attitude. If seems anything older than five years I am having problems getting any parts for.

You've got that right. I'm running into similar problems. I have a decent parts and service store nearby me where I get common parts and pieces at a slight discount. The last two trips I've made there resulted in me coming home and searching the 'Net for the parts. So far, I've managed to turn everything up. I have noticed that on the Briggs Parts Lookup site I keep getting messages that the part is no longer in stock. I never had this problem when I was doing small engine work a few years ago. I doubt I ever found more than 3 or 4 items I couldn't get. Out of stock items for mowers only 8 to 10 years old is a real problem, at least as I see it.
Steve
They say I'm grumpy. I say I'm old and tired of the nonsense.
lonewolf

Postby bgsengine » Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:27 pm

KE4AVB wrote:BGS you letting your age show... :lol:

I am in the same boat as I probably forgot more than I care to admit...

Just be glad you don't have to use the parts book I used to have on Briggs - The Master parts manual alone was 10 inches thick. and that was in 1988
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:32 pm

I was given a couple of those binders. Still sitting on the shelf. Hmmm Maybe I need pull them down to see if that service bulletin is in one of them.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum