• Advertisement

Briggs & Stratton "Service Bulletins"

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Briggs & Stratton "Service Bulletins"

Postby creia » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:34 pm

KE4AVB wrote:I was given a couple of those binders. Still sitting on the shelf. Hmmm Maybe I need pull them down to see if that service bulletin is in one of them.

I have one of those as well. Already looked- no "Service Bulletins" in mine.... :roll:
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:04 pm

They had another binder , about a third of the thickness of the parts book, that *I THINK* covered service bulletins, engine replacement specifications, and other "side" stuff not directly related to repair parts lookups, if I remember right. The parts catalog was Blue, the supplement book was red covers. So there were actually TWO big binders (Total shelf space about 18 inches or so) that most dealers (pre-microfiche) would have had on their counter. Once Microfiche became Mainstream, the paper manuals often were no longer updated - likewise once computers became mainstream, (ARI Parts lookups grew out of that period) , Microfiche quickly became obsolete as well. So, if you want to collect old info from closed dealerships, keep an eye out for Microfiche collections too (You'll need a special reader for them - I think the main one was Eye-COM if I remember correctly - unlike newspaper microfiche on rolls, these were meant for the flat sheets for parts lookups.)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby creia » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:40 am

Yes, I have the Briggs "parts catalog" (Blue) binder dated 1978.
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:09 am

bgsengine wrote:They had another binder , about a third of the thickness of the parts book, that *I THINK* covered service bulletins, engine replacement specifications, and other "side" stuff not directly related to repair parts lookups, if I remember right. The parts catalog was Blue, the supplement book was red covers. So there were actually TWO big binders (Total shelf space about 18 inches or so) that most dealers (pre-microfiche) would have had on their counter. Once Microfiche became Mainstream, the paper manuals often were no longer updated - likewise once computers became mainstream, (ARI Parts lookups grew out of that period) , Microfiche quickly became obsolete as well. So, if you want to collect old info from closed dealerships, keep an eye out for Microfiche collections too (You'll need a special reader for them - I think the main one was Eye-COM if I remember correctly - unlike newspaper microfiche on rolls, these were meant for the flat sheets for parts lookups.)

And you know what, now that I'm thinking on these, I seem to recall a third book in Yellow for some reason... Yup been too long to remember for sure.. Blue for parts Red for engines, yellow supplements? or maybe it was short blocks on one of those & supplements on the other.... so maybe it was 3 binders in all for a Briggs dealer from the 70's-80's - Microfiche parts catalogs started creeping in around then I think....
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:30 am

Boy those were the days we could count things being 3/4 of the way right. But they got computers now and screw up nearly every thing. I do however like not having to fight the silverfish to keep manuals intact just computer viruses. :lol:

But seriously it seems a lot of the old records have been lost for our use. This why I am a data pack rat myself. Even some those records are still on paper. Technology just keeps changing so fast. Back in the 80's I would nearly kill for a 1Gb hard drive but my 500Gb is already so far outdated it will require me updating the whole system now. Back in the 80's we ran an accounting system on a 5Mb hard drive and had lots extra storage space.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby SUKI » Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:03 am

Oh well Briggs says they can't find that bulletin anywhere they looked. It might be just too old to find. So we have hope an old timer has a copy that they can scan for us.
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby lonewolf » Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:45 am

KE4AVB wrote:I do however like not having to fight the silverfish to keep manuals intact just computer viruses. :lol:

If you ditch Windows and run Linux, you'll not have to worry about viruses. See? There is a way around everything. LOL!

Steve
They say I'm grumpy. I say I'm old and tired of the nonsense.
lonewolf

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:06 pm

Yes but Wine would not run my accounting software 7 years ago so I stop fighting trying to get it to and went back to Windows.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:10 pm

SUKI wrote:Oh well Briggs says they can't find that bulletin anywhere they looked. It might be just too old to find. So we have hope an old timer has a copy that they can scan for us.

Oh well, thank you SUKI. I do very much appreciate your efforts! :)
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby lonewolf » Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:00 am

KE4AVB wrote:Yes but Wine would not run my accounting software 7 years ago so I stop fighting trying to get it to and went back to Windows.

I used to struggle to get Wine working correctly. I finally decided to just forget all the Windows apps and use Linux apps. For those very few cases where someone just had to have some Windows program, I set up VirtualBox. As for my wife and I, we just found Linux apps that do whatever we need done. It was less frustrating finding new apps to do our work than trying to keep Windows working. She was a bookkeeper for 35 years, give or take, and she absolutely hated trying to get work done an a Windows PC. She would come home every evening totally frustrated with her Windows PC at work. She complained abut Windows locking up, slowing down, or requiring reboots all day. Then, she'd get on her Linux laptop and everything would be much better for her. The other thing we both hated about Windows and Windows apps was that they all cost big money to buy and update. Everything on Linux is free, free, free. Trouble free and free, all in one swell package deal. Hard to beat.
Steve
They say I'm grumpy. I say I'm old and tired of the nonsense.
lonewolf

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum