• Advertisement

Briggs has gone nuts with parts pricing

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Briggs has gone nuts with parts pricing

Postby bertsmobilerepairs » Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:30 pm

In the 70's vertical integration where you own as much of the supply & distribution chain as possible became unfashionable to be replaced with horizontal integration where you own all of the brands so you set the price because you own all of the brands.
This of course is another way of saying monopoly .
ut despite all of the anti-monopoly laws in both the US & down here, that is what happened .
So money that should have gone into R & D went into buying out your competition and a lot of this came from selling you manufacturing.
An animal called the MBA rose out of the accounts department & migrated to the board rooms .
They made massive profits by selling off the manufacturing side of almost every business & switching to assembling ( Briggs ) or even outsourced that ( Ryobi ) because what the MBA's learned in college is "All of the value in a product or a company is the brand name"
The B & S / Generac or Tecumseh / Peerless are examples of this .
Managers got parachuted in from colleges who have no idea about the company / product or industry because management theory says management is the same regardless of the industry.
The UK did this in the 60's & 70's and we all know what happened to UK industry which is what is now happening to USA industry now the only difference is the origin of the rebadged products being Japan for the UK & China for the US .
I just bought an oil pump for a 365 chainsaw direct from the manufacturer EMAS in China for $ 6.25 + $ 6.10 shipping ( US $ ) as a "sample ".
The same part is $ 156.95 ( Aus ) from a discount on line retailer genuine or around 20% dearer if bought from a franchised dealer .
The oil feed pipe 503 42 67-01 is $ 20.95 from the same retailer. I paid 12¢ for it but had to order 50 of them from Alibaba with free shipping .
Now if they are bad when they get here, I tell Alibaba & get a refund ( the vendors does not get paid till I verify they arrived & were good ) .
I could have got them for 2¢ a piece from the manufacturer but the MOQ was 2000 at that price. ( 3¢ if I want them custom packed in a plastic bag and 4¢ for custom blister pack )

As for your gasket, it is for a 10 to 15 year old trimmer so to a $ 2,000,000 / year manager it has past its use by date & should be replaced
PS $ 49.95 ( AUS ) HERE + FREIGHT .
bertsmobilerepairs

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:11 am

Yes I can get the same adjustable oil pump here in aftermarket for $10.91 out of China.

All the manufactures are trying do is run us small repair shops out of business so they can just keep filling up the landfills with good equipment that simply needs a few replacement parts.

Well on the Husqvarna brush cutter I am making a new intake gasket in house and installing a new Walbro OEM carburetor. The Walbro carburetor direct from the distributor is half the Husqvarna replacement carburetor cost at $33.68 for the Walbro. I would have repaired the carburetor for $2.88 (cost) if wasn't for the water damage.

And MTD just tried to get me for $20 for 5.5 inch piece of 1/4 30R7 fuel line and a couple spring clamps. And what worst it doesn't even fit the 3/16 fuel nipple. Even the bulk Briggs 1/4 (7/16 OD) line is only $1.45 per foot retail and the 10mm spring clamps are only 0.16 ea retail. So for a little over two dollars retail I can replace $40 cost of two MTD hoses.

OEM are just stabbing themselves in the back by being greedy. No wonder the Chinese are taking over the parts supply business.

BTW I normally buy several of the same part when I order parts; unless, my orders are over $300. As small company it is hard to order more than I need but some items are worth stocking locally. Beside I made over $5000 extra last year by selling at the current retail prices even through the parts were purchased over two years ago. I just sold an ATV half shaft this week for an extra $45 dollars that I just brought in January. It was well worth it to buy two back in January than just the one I needed.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bertsmobilerepairs » Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:29 pm

Well for starters the bulk of the parts in anything that is "made in the USA" are actually made in PRC and only assembled in the USA
Down here these products have to be labled as that " made in Australia from imported parts "
When Covid closed down production in PRC it should have been apparent just how many " genuine" parts were made in the PRC
Every part that had to be backordered in the past 2 years is made in PRC , then put in a bag in the USA which allows them to be labled "made in the USA " .
We have been brainwashed that we can have it all and still have money left in out pockets.
As I regularly tell people
my fathers first petrol powered mower was bought in 1966 and my sister still has it and it is still being used to mow the common areas of her block of apartments + 5 others that adjoin it .
It cost him 4 weeks wages & we paid it off over 4 years so it ended up costing double that with interest .
Now days a similar size mower is less than 4 hours wages and no matter how much production effiencies & technology advances you apply, none of them can produce the same quality at those prices .
But we have been brain washed that it can & did so now "good old US technology" has brought down the price of mowers.
HORSE FEATHERS , continual downgrades in materials & quality + the use of slave labour where ever possible has brought down the actual price ( hours of your labour that equal the $ numbers on the ticket ).
Now there were some cost cuts rom technology but most of those had evaporated by the 1960's except from the small companies that could not afford to buy the modern production tooling .
For most parts you buy, the logistical costs in getting that part to your door are actually higher than the manufacturing costs .
This is why you can not buy a single bolt from a hardwear store, you have to buy a 10 pack , 25 pack, 50 pack or even 100 pack and this is because the cost of putting them on the shelf then running them through the till is more than the retail mark up .
Here those MBA's again stick their nasty fingers into your pocket.
They work out the average restocking & sales cost for each item and then package them so if you walked in and only bought 1 item, the mark up on that single item sales makes a net profit .
Thus we end up buying all sorts of drawers & shelves to store the 99 left over screws .
bertsmobilerepairs

Postby SUKI » Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:19 am

What I started doing because of the greedy middle men is to buy in bulk and sell at their (OEM)suggested retail prices using their PNs. I just write the cost as if I purchased it from the OEM distributor so it becomes hidden profit.

So AVB just assemble the fuel line and sale it under the MTD PN and go buy yourself a steak. And then write off the steak as a business expense as you had to travel to get the steak to entertain a business client (yourself).

Can't be no worst than the local business I know of that pockets a lot of the cash sales they do as they are charging no tax on cash sales and not paying employment taxes on their employees. No wonder they are growing so fast. I had one of their employees insist on me not charging him the sales tax when paid his repair bill. Well if it weren't for him having a tax exempt certificate for me make a copy of he would had gotten charged the taxes anyway. And then there is a neighbor that was bragging that he is not paying his employment taxes because he works for the same company. Just another crooked Republican in my opinion like DJT.

Anyway I have always paid my fair share of taxes that including collecting the sales tax on my sales; unless, I have exemption form on hand.
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum