• Advertisement

Stens 285-251 Spindle Problems

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Stens 285-251 Spindle Problems

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:18 pm

I thought I let everyone know of the problems I had with the Stens TCA24880 replacement units.

So far ordered five of these 285-251 spindles and installed three of them. Actually actually the last two were replacement of two the failed under warranty.

Diagnostics of the two failed unit revealed assembly problems. The first one had a lower spacer that was too thin causing the unit to bind up damaging the housing. The second one it was the M20-1.50 Flanged nut being designed wrong. The JD nuts are countersinked where the threads are. The Stens nuts are not. This cause the nut to bottom out on the spindle hex for the pulley adapter preventing application of full clamping pressure.
At least Stens refunded me the cost of the spindles.

So far I have yet to find these nuts other than at JD; all others are like the Stens nut.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Stens 285-251 Spindle Problems

Postby 38racing » Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:11 am

I had an aftermarket spindle that the mounting bolts snapped off when installing it. Luckily I had the original bolts.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:43 am

Yes some those are grade #2 screws. This is why I have taps and pretap most of the way even on the self tappers.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Mon Aug 19, 2024 5:50 pm

KE4AVB wrote:I thought I let everyone know of the problems I had with the Stens TCA24880 replacement units.

So far ordered five of these 285-251 spindles and installed three of them. Actually actually the last two were replacement of two the failed under warranty.

Diagnostics of the two failed unit revealed assembly problems. The first one had a lower spacer that was too thin causing the unit to bind up damaging the housing. The second one it was the M20-1.50 Flanged nut being designed wrong. The JD nuts are countersinked where the threads are. The Stens nuts are not. This cause the nut to bottom out on the spindle hex for the pulley adapter preventing application of full clamping pressure.
At least Stens refunded me the cost of the spindles.

So far I have yet to find these nuts other than at JD; all others are like the Stens nut.

What exactly did you mean about it binding up? I thought I had posted about my issue but I can't find it. Aftermarket spindle for husqvarna 42". I had one that would bind up if I tightened the pulley nut enough to keep pulley from shifting. My memory is bad but I think I ended up swapping the shaft old one. In same boat again. The mower csme in for engine issue, blade and guy said spindle replacement. He uses it to cut for the elderly owner of the unit. On left side I only found issue of end play in the shaft. Pushing blade end of shaft up would lift top bearing from its seat. I added a washer below the lower bearing to eliminate that. Now on left side I thought everything was fine until I went to put the new blade on. The star on the shaft was messed. Blade wouldn't mount. I'm thinking that blade was tightened when star not aligned right. By me? Or did guy due it when sharpening blade? So I need new unit or at least a shaft. Trying to save her some money I pulled a shaft from a unit that had broken mounting bolts that resisted drillin out. So when I'm at point of mounting the pulley it binds before pulley is tight enough to not move on the splines a bit. I tried to reach a compromise tightness but after 15 minutes of cutting the top bearing had burned up. I replaced the bearing and I've tightened just enough to not bind I hope and to prevent not from loosening I applied some loctite to exposed threads and added a second nut. I'm puzzled as to why it binds? A mismatch of the shaft to the housing?
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Aug 19, 2024 6:20 pm

Older AYP spindles require a spacer under the pulley. Newer ones have a bearing with this built-in. IE extended top.
Check the pulley for this washer PN 532187690. IF missing replace it or install a new Rotary 16348 bearing. Or if you like paying more Husqvarna PN 585323901
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Mon Aug 19, 2024 10:28 pm

Mine has the spacer washer. I was wondering if I should use a second thin washer with the spacer. I looked up that bearing and my supplier has it and says it comes in the spindle I've been buying from them although the spindle picture shows the older bearing.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Aug 20, 2024 6:27 am

Hmmm, That knocks out what I was thinking that was causing the binding when the pulley tighten down. About only thing left is the shaft shoulder is a tad too low causing excessive side load of the bearings. Might try a very thin washer under the top bearing that fit the spindle shaft fits the spindle shaft top bearing journal. It going to be hard to find one without having to file one to fit. And this is only a theory here as I am not there to see what going on.

And are you only tighten pulley nut to 55-60 ft-lbs?
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Tue Aug 20, 2024 12:18 pm

KE4AVB wrote:Hmmm, That knocks out what I was thinking that was causing the binding when the pulley tighten down. About only thing left is the shaft shoulder is a tad too low causing excessive side load of the bearings. Might try a very thin washer under the top bearing that fit the spindle shaft fits the spindle shaft top bearing journal. It going to be hard to find one without having to file one to fit. And this is only a theory here as I am not there to see what going on.

And are you only tighten pulley nut to 55-60 ft-lbs?

I was think the same way. Possibly an mtd transmission washer will work. Waiting on mtd to ship me some anyway. Guessing that some parts that showed in stock were not.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Aug 20, 2024 12:45 pm

And vendor showing parts in stock when not is getting to be a problem.

it is like the transaxle I ordered showed in stock but not, then show in the warehouse being prepared to ship to me and then the whole transaxle disappears and I get a notice it is on a 6 week back order now. Apparently the Gardner shipped my transaxle to someone else. I ended up losing the repair job because of them mushrooming me.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Aug 20, 2024 12:45 pm

And vendor showing parts in stock when not is getting to be a problem.

it is like the transaxle I ordered showed in stock but not, then show in the warehouse being prepared to ship to me and then the whole transaxle disappears and I get a notice it is on a 6 week back order now. Apparently the Gardner shipped my transaxle to someone else. I ended up losing the repair job because of them mushrooming me.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum