• Advertisement

Advanced service info

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Advanced service info

Postby wristpin » Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:51 pm

Advanced service info / topics.
I seem to remember that several years ago there was a link or links to more detailed service info than contained in the normal repair manuals. One subject was about rust on flywheels armature pole pieces etc . Google is not finding it. Did I dream it or can someone post a link?
wristpin
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Advanced service info

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:18 pm

As far as I know I haven't seen any service bulletin on this. Now with that in mind rust doesn't affect magnetism but wire brushing the magnet especially powered source will screw it up. Also the surface bewteen the coil frame and it mounting points does need to clean of rust for good electrical contact.

I would search the Briggs bulletins via Power Portal but that section is currently down as Briggs upgrades the site.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:17 pm

Yeah- what KE4 said. I do believe there was a technical update seminar in the middle 2010's where they touched on the subject to get the official word out - To wit: Rust on the magnets does nothing (Although enough heavy rust scale can interfere with flywheel-armature clearances) - Rust on the armature poles to the mounting posts DO indeed cause problems- Just like the same reason you need to clean battery cable terminals and battery posts for good electrical contact.

Heavy rust scale on flywheel could theoretically interfere with magnetic fields (assuming the scale didn't fall off when it hit the armature!) But ordinary surface rust on magnets will NOT affect how the ignition system (or charging system) works. There have been a lot of "But then why did I get a spark after I sanded the magnets" arguments, but generally sanding the magnets you'd also be bumping and shifting other parts of the engine, resulting in what may be a semi-permanent "fix" (until rust builds up enough to interfere with electrical conduction in armature again) In my 35-plus years working on small engines (and many of them were oil field construction engines) I have never yet seen a rusty flywheel cause a no-spark, if that tells you anything...
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby bluemower » Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:46 pm

this topic was in the briggs training. later disappeared. The magneto training video talks about voltages from the magneto. Will research in a few day.s
bluemower
Guide

Return to Technical Discussion Forum