• Advertisement

Need Briggs 3HP "Pulsa-Jet" carb

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Need Briggs 3HP "Pulsa-Jet" carb

Postby creia » Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:37 pm

Does anyone have one that they would like to sell?
This is the carb with the pull-out (slide) choke that mounts on top of the fuel tank. They were very popular on the horizontal-shaft, "Easy Spin" "Kool Bore", Briggs 3HP from the early 1960's- early 1990s.
I am looking for one that is complete and in good condition (both fuel pick up tubes/screens intact, throttle shaft not worn, etc.)
If you have one you can part with please send me a private message.
Thank you,
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Need Briggs 3HP "Pulsa-Jet" carb

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:11 am

Might need let us know the model and type code. But most of these tanks are getting very rare to find. I got one 3 qt tank that I am saving for one of my customers and then it going to cost them $120 to get it.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:40 am

KE4AVB wrote:Might need let us know the model and type code. But most of these tanks are getting very rare to find. I got one 3 qt tank that I am saving for one of my customers and then it going to cost them $120 to get it.

For this particular engine and my immediate need:
M- 80202 T- 0815-01 C-77042601
That being said, this same carb was used on many (most?) of the Briggs 3HP horizontal shafts from the 1960s-1980s
It was used only the 2 quart tanks and the longer fuel pick up tube measures 4.25" in length from the base/bottom of the carb to the tip of the screen
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:44 pm

creia wrote:
KE4AVB wrote:Might need let us know the model and type code. But most of these tanks are getting very rare to find. I got one 3 qt tank that I am saving for one of my customers and then it going to cost them $120 to get it.

For this particular engine and my immediate need:
M- 80202 T- 0815-01 C-77042601
That being said, this same carb was used on many (most?) of the Briggs 3HP horizontal shafts from the 1960s-1980s
It was used only the 2 quart tanks and the longer fuel pick up tube measures 4.25" in length from the base/bottom of the carb to the tip of the screen
Michael

Michael, You have to understand Not all us have been on small engines as long as you probably have. I for one don't these like the back of my hand which is why I equipment to look-up things. And even on this they mention the use of a 3 qt tank; though, it was limited to special cases.

Personally I always prefer to look up IPLs first before responding just I know generally what I am posting is correct. IN this case the 296591 superseded to 397789 is definitely NLA as new so NOS or used is the only options.

BTW I am getting a lot more NLA parts notes on my Briggs orders making even the lot newer equipment unrepairable. Matter of fact I got that note on the breather tubes for the 2017 13L332-0008-F8 that I am trying to repair.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:33 pm

KE4AVB wrote:Michael, You have to understand Not all us have been on small engines as long as you probably have. I for one don't these like the back of my hand which is why I equipment to look-up things. And even on this they mention the use of a 3 qt tank; though, it was limited to special cases.

Personally I always prefer to look up IPLs first before responding just I know generally what I am posting is correct. IN this case the 296591 superseded to 397789 is definitely NLA as new so NOS or used is the only options.

I don't think he has been at it any longer than you have been, However, he does kinda specialize in those particular engines.

The thing is - most of the 3 HP would use the same base carburetor (Carburetors actually - the 3 main types Vacu Jet Pulsa Jet and Float would be all the same base configuration to their particular design) with the variations being based on what tank size they sat on and governor types, choke types etc. Likewise for the 5 HP models.... In later years Briggs just consolidated them to the base carburetor plus components needed for the deepest tank - to use in smaller tanks, one would cut down the brass pickup tube that the nylon tube is attached to, and in some cases transfer over linkages from old to new, so eventually Briggs superseded everything to just one main part number that covered like 75% of all cases . The 3 HP versions were the first to go obsolete, followed a few years after by the 5 HP versions. The Vacu-Jet ones were already going into obsolecence way back in the 1980's but you could replace them with tank & Carb assembly that used pulsa-jet.

So pretty much any 3 HP Pulsa Jet carburetor can be adapted to most of the engines (Though the small tank ones you'd have to replace the brass pickup tube to fit to a larger tank, and that is not an easy job at all, and in many cases just about impossible without ruining the carburetor body) Likewise with the 5 HP - And though you can fit up either size carburetor to a 3 HP or a 5 HP, the venturi would be wrong , hence the specification for 3 HP versions and 5 HP versions.

All that said, I don't think I have seen one with the pull-out choke in the last 15 years or so - the somewhat newer ones could be made to work, but they'd have the nylon/brass butterfly choke, so would never pass as "Original" (and some applications, they would never fit right to begin with), and even those are also obsoleted, AFAIK.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:45 pm

Could very well be the case as I just work on just everything the comes into the shop and don't specialize on any particular brand.

I wish I could do just one line it sure make easier to do repairs.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:20 pm

[quote="bgsengine"][quote="KE4AVB"]
Michael, You have to understand Not all us have been on small engines as long as you probably have.

.[/quoteI don't think he has been at it any longer than you have been, However, he does kinda specialize in those particular engines.

Brian nailed it. 8-) I do not necessarily believe that I've been working on small engines engines longer than very many (if any) of you. The AGE of the engines I work on, however, probably FAR exceeds what most of you are working on. Mine are in the 1965- 1980 manufacture range, mostly Briggs, with (some) Tecumsehs. (Sidebar comment: Boy o Boy how I miss "T-Man" on this forum- you long timers here will remember him and his vast knowledge of Tecumseh engines!) Some of the engine's condition I have restored looked like they went down with the Titanic when I first took them into inventory. It has got significantly more difficult in recent years to find much of the NOS stuff which I depend on.
Michael :)
creia
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:14 pm

i have pull choke but only on a 5hp i think.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:53 pm

38racing wrote:i have pull choke but only on a 5hp i think.

I "might" be interested in it. The 5HP Pulsa -Jet carb comes with the longer 4 15/16" fuel pick up tube (3 qt. tank), while the 3 HP uses the 4 1/4" long tube (2 qt. tank) Does anyone have a good/proven technique to remove the longer 5HP pick up tube, cut it down in length for the 3HP application , then reinstall it in the carb body? I have tried doing this in the past and it always is a failure. Somehow, when i remove the tube I either flatten/kink the tube and/or enlarge the hole in the base of the carb as I can never get the cut down tube to fit properly snugly/again, or i cannot get it to insert all the way into the base of the carb.:oops:
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:31 pm

creia wrote:
38racing wrote:i have pull choke but only on a 5hp i think.

I "might" be interested in it. The 5HP Pulsa -Jet carb comes with the longer 4 15/16" fuel pick up tube (3 qt. tank), while the 3 HP uses the 4 1/4" long tube (2 qt. tank) Does anyone have a good/proven technique to remove the longer 5HP pick up tube, cut it down in length for the 3HP application , then reinstall it in the carb body? I have tried doing this in the past and it always is a failure. Somehow, when i remove the tube I either flatten/kink the tube and/or enlarge the hole in the base of the carb as I can never get the cut down tube to fit properly snugly/again, or i cannot get it to insert all the way into the base of the carb.:oops:
Michael

Never tried it myself, but kinda helps to know how they manufacture them. Which I don't know either for sure. Typically I would assume the bronze tube is installed when the carb body is heated to just below melting point (baked in an oven) and the bronze tube frozen. I have a theory I never tried out but if it were possible to strip the carb completely of all plastic (including internal check balls if there are any) , one might try sticking it in a toaster oven at like 350 degrees for an hour, then with tongs (channel locks?) and some quick work, see if you can quickly cool the bronze tube (I'm thinking of the canned air dusters for computers, if held upside down you get basically very cold freon coming out) while simultaneously pulling on it with a tool (vise grips?) But - It is after all , just an untested theory , or perhaps just a hypothesis.. But I don't have any of those carbs laying around to try it with..

If your problem with the 3 HP carb is the bronze tube, I might also wonder if it might be possible to drill & tap the body, and thread (matching threads) a bronze tube you might be able to obtain from someplace like mcmaster-Carr? Its another idea I had once, but never time nor scrap carbs to try it out with.

OTOH if you could find replacement tubing, you could simply drill out old tube and install new one with some type of sealer (and hot carb, cold tube) ?
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum