• Advertisement

UPS dropped/damaged one of my vintage restorations!

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

UPS dropped/damaged one of my vintage restorations!

Postby creia » Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:02 pm

In 15 years of shipping over 30 engines with UPS this will be my first claim for damage. :cry:
The engine is a 1966 Briggs 3HP, horizontal shaft "Koolbore"/"Easy Spin"
Information and photos are still coming in from the buyer, so far it is:
(3) cylinder head fins badly bent :cry:
Engine stop switch and top cylinder head tin bent- the impact of the stop switch hitting the spark plug broke the top 1/2 of the plug off!. :cry:

I bolt the engine to a 1/2" thick piece of OSB. I always do an excellent job of packaging with a 200LB-rated UPS box and a very thick "cocoon" of styrofoam peanuts. The impact was hard enough that one of the two 1/4" carriage bolts securing the engine pulled completely through the board. :o
The engine is fully insured ($700.00), however, before I declare it a total loss, it MAY be repairable if it is cost effective. I would like the opportunity to look it over first hand and perform some forensics, including opening it up and inspecting. I would come up with a list and (as my damage claim) have UPS pay me for my time and materials to do so.

Here is my question for the forum: With this type of impact (Seems like it was dropped and landed upside down?) what kind of internal damage would be suspect or should I be especially on the look out for?
Thank you,
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: UPS dropped/damaged one of my vintage restorations!

Postby SUKI » Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:17 am

You just don't visit one UPS shipping points. I have package dropped off convey belt and ran over by forklifts.

And I had bad experience with UPS back in the early 90's when I shipped in for repairs a $2000 calculator. It was shipped in the original packaging plus extra peanuts. Luckily I insured it; although, the boss bitched to high heavens because I did. Well with the machine arrived in Norcross. GA its main Bakelite frame was shattered. No signs of external shipping box damage. All we could figure that it got drop flat from some height. My customer ended up with a brand new machine and UPS paid the bill after they inspected the package.

Plus considering the amount of damage boxes I gotten in the last few years I am surprised there isn't more more claims.

But you case it sound like the engine got dropped and then knock across the room or the UPS truck in was on was in an accident.
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby bgsengine » Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:32 am

Heh, I have had packages arrive that were literally speared through by warehouse forklifts (one of them was still oil soaked and wrapped in a giant plastic bag, everything inside the package soaked in a bath of bar & chain oil) and the hole left by the forks was hardly noticeable.

Used to be, new engines were shipped from warehouse in sturdy crates (Think a bare bones nailed up box wrapped in cardboard) but now they just throw em in engineered cardboard packaging (Cut several layers of cardboard to make an "infill form" that fits snugly over the top profile of the engine, including spark plug, then fold triangles spacers to go between base and top infill, and snug up over crank and sorta wedge into corners)

But if it was me and I could get the $700 claim paid from UPS, and get the engine returned (maybe UPS won't keep it and destroy it/sell it at auction, but leave it where it was delivered, and you could get buyer to ship it back for repairs)

However, if it was just packing peanuts, there's a possibility UPS may deny the claim due to insufficient packaging. (as noted, packing peanuts may not be sufficient packaging for something like that)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:43 am

For me I tend to over pack items because I know the shipper's employees don't care.

I very surprised how poor the Amazon stuff is package and still arrives in good shape yet a well package item gets damaged.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:00 pm

I know that many will think that the logical/simple solution would be to just declare the engine a total loss and just take the $ 700.00 payout, which I can understand. I restore them and sell them to individuals doing complete restorations of vintage minibikes and go-karts who want not only an engine that appears "period-correct" for their project , but also has a serial # (manufacture date) matching their project from that time as well. In the last 5 years these vintage engines have become REALLY hard to find- even "junkers", especially anything from the 1960s. (FYI: I really do not make much $$ for my restorations. Considering the significant time and parts (some also very hard to come by= $$) I make just about minimum wage- here in Ca $ 15.00 :o ) So it is just pretty much a "labor of love" that keeps my busy doing something I enjoy helping people complete their projects. :D You "pros" would never make anywhere enough $$ restoring these engines like I do to sustain your business much less make any profit at all. :roll:
Sooooo..... my point is I would hate to see another vintage engine taken out of circulation and unavailable to someone's project just because it has (only) some cosmetic or even (minor) mechanical damage. By the way, The UPS Store told me that if you declare it a total loss UPS WILL take the engine. I am just trying to get a "head's up" from you seasoned/experienced/professional techs as to what internal damage COULD have happened (and whet to pay particular attention to when I open it up) when it was dropped.
Thank you,
Michael
Last edited by creia on Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
creia
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:19 pm

I kinda there be any internal damage but all bets are off on the externals.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:47 pm

creia wrote:Sooooo..... my point is I would hate to see another vintage engine taken out of circulation and unavailable to someone's project just because it has (only) some cosmetic or even (minor) mechanical damage. By the way, The UPS Store told me that if you declare it a total loss UPS WILL take the engine. I am just trying to get a "head's up" from you seasoned/experienced/professional techs as to what internal damage COULD have happened (and whet to pay particular attention to when I open it up) when it was dropped.

Odds are you'd be unlikely to see significant internal damage - you'd likely expect to need a head, the tins (and possibly blower housing) - The GREATEST risk to not taking the $700 and letting UPS have it: The blower housing mounting ears that are part of the engine block (where blower housing bolts to block) could easily have broken off just by the engine falling on the blower housing, rendering the engine block useless. If blower housing took a hit, you could potentially have trouble with the coil mounting standoffs, (since air vane - either duct or governor could get smooshed in or sideways and that bolts to the standoffs with coil) - Also, fuel tank/carburetor if that felt impact, could have broken the mounting ears on the block - Though those are quite capable of being welded back in by an expert MIG welder. (possibly mounting ears for blower housing could be welded too) Best case, you'd need a new head , new air duct tin, new spark plug, new kill switch, and be fine.

In future, I might suggest actually crating engine top , bottom and sides using that OSB cut to shape and screwed together to make a structural crate you can then drop into a box. (Or, alternatively, just before sealing box, pack in a plastic lawn & leaf trash bag - heavy weight bag - and then get a can or two of spray foam insulation at dollar store - fill bag with expanding foam starting from as deep in as you can get nozzle and working your way out to the top, then quickly close up and tape/strap the box to force the foam to cure in a compressed state - I once shipped an antique piece of glass ware by USPS that way, and it arrived in pristine condition)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby creia » Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:30 pm

bgsengine wrote:
creia wrote:Sooooo..... my point is I would hate to see another vintage engine taken out of circulation and unavailable to someone's project just because it has (only) some cosmetic or even (minor) mechanical damage. By the way, The UPS Store told me that if you declare it a total loss UPS WILL take the engine. I am just trying to get a "head's up" from you seasoned/experienced/professional techs as to what internal damage COULD have happened (and whet to pay particular attention to when I open it up) when it was dropped.

Odds are you'd be unlikely to see significant internal damage - you'd likely expect to need a head, the tins (and possibly blower housing) - The GREATEST risk to not taking the $700 and letting UPS have it: The blower housing mounting ears that are part of the engine block (where blower housing bolts to block) could easily have broken off just by the engine falling on the blower housing, rendering the engine block useless. If blower housing took a hit, you could potentially have trouble with the coil mounting standoffs, (since air vane - either duct or governor could get smooshed in or sideways and that bolts to the standoffs with coil) - Also, fuel tank/carburetor if that felt impact, could have broken the mounting ears on the block - Though those are quite capable of being welded back in by an expert MIG welder. (possibly mounting ears for blower housing could be welded too) Best case, you'd need a new head , new air duct tin, new spark plug, new kill switch, and be fine.

In future, I might suggest actually crating engine top , bottom and sides using that OSB cut to shape and screwed together to make a structural crate you can then drop into a box. (Or, alternatively, just before sealing box, pack in a plastic lawn & leaf trash bag - heavy weight bag - and then get a can or two of spray foam insulation at dollar store - fill bag with expanding foam starting from as deep in as you can get nozzle and working your way out to the top, then quickly close up and tape/strap the box to force the foam to cure in a compressed state - I once shipped an antique piece of glass ware by USPS that way, and it arrived in pristine condition)

Thank you Brian- that is a lot of good solid information there and just what I was looking for! :D When I called The UPS Store on Saturday (very brief conversation as they were closing) they asked me "is it a total loss or is it repairable?" I told them at that time that I do not know - yet, as information and photos were just starting to come in. I am hoping (?) that they will give me the opportunity to inspect the engine thoroughly inside and out before deciding whether it is a total loss or repairable. Add to that the complication that the engine was shipped miles away and sitting at the buyer's residence. It will need to be shipped to me for my inspection (who pays for that?), as this buyer is no where near qualified to perform any forensics on the engine. I'll be calling The UPS Store tomorrow (Monday) with a LOT of questions. Stay tuned for an update...
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby bertsmobilerepairs » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:20 am

IATA who cover most transit insurance define "properly packaged " as being able to withstand being dropped from waist height onto a concrete floor landing on any side without damage .
When you think about it, that is around the height of most sorting belts in most depots or it was when I was in transport.
IF it is on a skid so a fork load the definition is different and it must have side penetration protection as well
You can take out "fragile goods" transit insurance for items that can not be packaged to IATA standards .

No transport company will take your word for the cost of repair so you will need a third party to access it
They will also want to see the actual packaging to access weather it was packaged correctly.
Damaged goods are forfeit if declaired a write off & generally sold off at an auction by the insurance underwriter and in most cases that sale will be in a different State in order to thawt damage rorts
bertsmobilerepairs

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:50 am

This why I shipping damage I just file a claim and have which freight do all the legwork in get it looked at. Even though I probably more fair about things I still do it as that is how always been done because some shippers are idiots and think everyone is one to rip them off.

Oh I know that is antique engine with many parts extremely had to come by but they don't care because it is just money to them that you have pry out of their dead cold fingers. Just got to be as ruthless as they are at times. Being honest don't get you everywhere with these jerk of companies. And the USPS is one of the worst one to deal with as when they claim something is delivered it is like you are chopping off one of their arms when it wasn't delivered. The last package lost in their system took over 3 months to get the claim completed. They apparently went through the whole Memphis post office looking for it. Meanwhile I re-order the parts and had them here the next day via UPS.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum