• Advertisement

Drive Cable for Craftsman

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Drive Cable for Craftsman

Postby Seakaye12 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:49 pm

I have a Craftsman mower #917.371603.

I have looked up that number on various part sites with no success. That model number does not come up.

I need the drive cable for this mower. Can anyone help me look it up?

Thanks!
Seakaye12

Advertisement

Re: Drive Cable for Craftsman

Postby RoyM » Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:02 pm

Husqvarna/AYP 588479201 Drive Cable should work but appears to be on back order.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby Seakaye12 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:27 pm

Thanks for that.

I had looked at that one but I don't think it has the correct fittings at the transmission end? Have a look at these pics; the one you reference does not look like it would lock into the round mount home?

Here's the Cable you referenced

Seakaye12

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:10 pm

Are you sure you are not transposing the last two digits of the model number as 917.371630 appears to have the correct transaxle mount when compared to the one shown. If so then the cable is PN 532194653.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Seakaye12 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:23 pm

No; The number I posted above is correct. It's odd....none of the typical parts sites that I use have it listed. I have never had that happen before.

Seakaye12

Postby bgsengine » Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:41 pm

Seakaye12 wrote:Thanks for that.

I had looked at that one but I don't think it has the correct fittings at the transmission end? Have a look at these pics; the one you reference does not look like it would lock into the round mount home?

Here's the Cable you referenced

Look between the black piece and the drive belt/pulley on the deck - see that slot? I believe that is one of the potential mounting places of the cable you have pictured. I do know they had variations of cables, depending on which engine was installed (Briggs engine might use one version, while the AYP/Husqvarna engine used a different hookup & cable) So the problem is if parts catalog cannot be located for the mower (which may likely show 2 different engine versions?) then it pretty much takes a whole bunch of guesswork (I have ordered as many as 4 different cables to find the right one to fit , and then the other 3 sitting in inventory til I could find a mower they would fit, and then find some excuse -- "it Broke while testing" or some such -- to sell/replace the oddball cable(s) )

Versions can also vary between whether it is a 2-in-1 or 3-in-1 , rear wheel drive or front wheel, different HP/Torque or engines, and so on...

Not much help I know, but maybe someone can find a parts catalog that works for that model. I used to be able to go to Sears PartsDirect and use theirs (and then cross reference the ORIGINAL cable part number (not the superceded one) and follow the clues to the right cable, but who knows how accurate Sears is any more, if it even exists...
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Seakaye12 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:08 pm

Okay; Thanks for all the effort!

I went ahead and ordered 532194653. I think it might work. I saw that slot in the picture too.....but it shows no sign of a cable ever being mounted there. The round hole in the plastic part shows wear. Who knows??

The mower came to me with the old cable removed; things would have been a whole lot easier if I could have just gotten the number off of it.
Seakaye12

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:35 am

Yes it would have been.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum