• Advertisement

Heli coils

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Heli coils

Postby 38racing » Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:29 pm

Is it likely that if I already have the helicoil brand insertion tool kit that I can use it to install inserts of brand oemtool?
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Heli coils

Postby bgsengine » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:12 pm

I suspect so, if they are the same helical coil style (I have used off-brand heli-coil style inserts as refills for heli-coil kits before, but no clue about your brand mentioned - I think much like honda clone engines - much is interchangeable once the china factories figured out how to copy the originals.. and then export them when the patents expire. )
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby 38racing » Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:09 pm

Might be academic as I can't find where I put my install kit. While searching I found several other misplaced parts and tools. issue might be outside tap size which is included in the brand kit.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby SUKI » Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:24 am

Always nice to find missing tools. I misplaced my flavorite double ended box end wrench (1/2 - 9/16). I manage to find it after four days.

I only just started using the Helicoils myself so I have no idea if they are different but I do there are a few different kits. Some have minimum number tools and others have more tools in a set.
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby bgsengine » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:13 am

bgsengine wrote:I suspect so, if they are the same helical coil style (I have used off-brand heli-coil style inserts as refills for heli-coil kits before, but no clue about your brand mentioned - I think much like honda clone engines - much is interchangeable once the china factories figured out how to copy the originals.. and then export them when the patents expire. )

Ah. Just remembered the brand - Fix-a-Thread insert kits from Rotary. I can confirm they match up (tools and inserts) with heli-coil kits - other than cosmetic appearances of the tooling, you wouldn't know the difference between the two.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Return to Technical Discussion Forum